The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea

Go down 
+2
Wyatt Earp
gringaloca
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea Empty
PostSubject: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 7:37 pm

North Korea ordered the release of two jailed American journalists on Tuesday after former U.S. President Bill Clinton held talks with Kim Jong-il and the reclusive and ailing leader issued what North Korea's KCNA news agency said was a "special pardon" for the pair.

The talks in Pyongyang were the highest-level contact between the United States and North Korea since Clinton was in office nearly a decade ago.

KCNA said Clinton left North Korea shortly after news of the imminent release of the two journalists, Euna Lee, 36, and Laura Ling, 32, who work for Current TV, an American TV outlet co-founded by Clinton's vice president, Al Gore. The agency did not mention the journalists.

The pair were arrested on the North Korea-China border in March while reporting on the trafficking of women and accused of illegal entry.

A North Korean court sentenced them last month to 12 years of hard labor for what it called grave crimes.

"The families of Laura Ling and Euna Lee are overjoyed by the news of their pardon," said a statement posted on a website created to support the two journalists.

The statement expressed gratitude to President Barack Obama and several high officials of his administration as well as thanking Clinton "for taking on such an arduous mission."

But there were immediate questions about what Clinton had discussed with Kim beyond the fate of the two reporters during a visit that gave Kim what he craved -- direct U.S. attention and a visit from a highly placed emissary.

The North Korean news agency insisted Clinton had "courteously conveyed a verbal message of U.S. President Barack Obama expressing profound thanks for this and reflecting views on ways of improving the relations between the two countries."

The White House denied Clinton carried any sort of message from Obama.

David Axelrod, a senior adviser to Obama, told MSNBC television that Clinton was on a "private humanitarian mission" and that "I don't think it's related to other issues."

Clinton, husband of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, was the highest-level American to visit the reclusive communist state since his secretary of state, Madeleine Albright, went there in 2000.

He was received warmly and had what KCNA described as an "exhaustive conversation" over dinner with Kim and his top aides.

The North Koreans immediately sought to put their stamp on the visit.

"Clinton expressed words of sincere apology to Kim Jong Il for the hostile acts committed by the two American journalists against the DPRK after illegally intruding into it. Clinton courteously conveyed to Kim Jong Il an earnest request of the U.S. government to leniently pardon them and send them back home from a humanitarian point of view," KCNA said.

Link to full article

Keep up the good work Bill! thumb
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler
Wyatt Earp

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 pm

Not a fan of Bill but I will give him a thumbs up this time....AND THIS TIME ONLY Smile
Back to top Go down
Kgirl
Kgirl

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 pm

I would vote for Bill again if I ever had the chance!!! Please don't start the cigar, the Monica or any other crap about him this time....please.....let's just let the man have his due for this and a lot of other good stuff that a lot of people just will never own up that he did.

I have always been a Bill fan and I always will be. I say good work Bill Beer Toast
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:55 am

Bill probably had nothing to do with the release of the two women. N Korea wanted a former president to parade around taking pictures of in exchange for the prisoners. I guess Bill should get credit for agreeing to be the one. Saving two young ladies...Right up his alley. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler
Wyatt Earp

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:51 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090805/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/af_clinton_nkorea

"He told CBS's "The Early Show," that North Korea "used the two journalists as bargaining chips." Kim "gets a former president on his soil" at a time of turmoil in relations between the two countries. And Washington wins release of the two Americans, and perhaps an easing of tensions."

Why does Kim care if a former president comes to his soil?

I was actually giving Bill credit for using diplomacy but this article makes it appear this was nothing more than Kim wanting to parade around a former US president and was willing to release the prisoners to get such a parade. Not sure why Kim wanted this so bad but then again, I have never understood alot of what Kim does.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:

"He told CBS's "The Early Show," that North Korea "used the two journalists as bargaining chips." Kim "gets a former president on his soil" at a time of turmoil in relations between the two countries. And Washington wins release of the two Americans, and perhaps an easing of tensions."

I was actually giving Bill credit for using diplomacy but this article makes it appear this was nothing more than Kim wanting to parade around a former US president and was willing to release the prisoners to get such a parade. Not sure why Kim wanted this so bad but then again, I have never understood alot of what Kim does.

If Kim wants a stupid parade, then so be it.... I'm just thankful that Bill went and those journalists are back home. This is the same sort of trip that got my step-father released. Richardson met with Saddam Hussein and got him and his buddies released. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to save lives. Making Kim feel special for a day isn't that much of a sacrifice in my book. Way to go Bill and President Obama for coming up with the idea.
Back to top Go down
Kgirl
Kgirl

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:17 pm

If parading all the former president's before Kim is what it took to get those girls back home, then parade them for goodness sakes. I could give a big rat's butt less who got them out as long as they are out. If Bill Clinton saved the world single handed there will always be someone pooping their mouths off. If you can say without a doubt that you have never done anything wrong..then by all means talk about him all you want...if you can't...then ...well let's just say....we shouldn't be hearing a lot from anyone.......
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:22 am

gringaloca wrote:
Wyatt Earp wrote:

If Kim wants a stupid parade, then so be it.... I'm just thankful that Bill went and those journalists are back home. This is the same sort of trip that got my step-father released. Richardson met with Saddam Hussein and got him and his buddies released. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to save lives. Making Kim feel special for a day isn't that much of a sacrifice in my book. Way to go Bill and President Obama for coming up with the idea.

That's just it Gringa, Bill nor Obama came up with it. It was Kim's request! Are we going to start sending past presidents to every hostage situation when requested by terrorists?
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:38 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
Wyatt Earp wrote:

That's just it Gringa, Bill nor Obama came up with it. It was Kim's request! Are we going to start sending past presidents to every hostage situation when requested by terrorists?

It was his idea? Really? I'm not saying I don't believe you but do you have some proof of that. Anyway, sure, why not? If it gets people home. I vote we send Bush the next time! Razz
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:18 pm

gringaloca wrote:
SKINNYPIG wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
Wyatt Earp wrote:

It was his idea? Really? I'm not saying I don't believe you but do you have some proof of that. Anyway, sure, why not? If it gets people home. I vote we send Bush the next time! Razz

May as well send Bush, Barry most definitely ain't going. Cool Shades
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 2:55 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
SKINNYPIG wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
Wyatt Earp wrote:

May as well send Bush, Barry most definitely ain't going. Cool Shades

Who's Barry? And do you have some proof that this was Kim's idea?
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Obama is called Berry by his wife and close friends... Do you have any proof it wasn't Kim's idea??
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
Obama is called Berry by his wife and close friends... Do you have any proof it wasn't Kim's idea??

I'm not the one claiming it was Kim's idea, Pig is. The burden of proof is on him, not me. And I didn't know you guys were so close to him (like a wife) that you could call him pet names but I'm glad to hear you are close friends. Razz
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:42 pm

I think I'll start calling him Snookems. Laughing
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:43 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
I think I'll start calling him Snookems. Laughing

So, did you find that proof about Kim wanting Clinton to come visit him? Stir The Pot
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:50 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:

I'm not the one claiming it was Kim's idea, Pig is. The burden of proof is on him, not me. And I didn't know you guys were so close to him (like a wife) that you could call him pet names but I'm glad to hear you are close friends. Razz

Burden of proof??? I don't know what it would take to "prove" anything here. What could I actually post that would make you believe anything I've ever stated? What web site would it have to come from? Proof! Come on, this is not a court room, it's a message board for crying out loud. Proof? Really?

Seriously, it was Kim's request though. Fact. Check it out.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:52 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:

Burden of proof??? I don't know what it would take to "prove" anything here. What could I actually post that would make you believe anything I've ever stated? What web site would it have to come from? Proof! Come on, this is not a court room, it's a message board for crying out loud. Proof? Really?

Seriously, it was Kim's request though. Fact. Check it out.

You say you have proof, let's see it. I've looked and can't seem to find anything saying that Kim wanted Bill Clinton to come visit him and he'd release those girls. Not even on freeper websites.
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:02 pm

Did I say I had proof? There you go again.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:08 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
Did I say I had proof? There you go again.

OK, so there is no proof that Kim wanted Clinton to come. That's what I thought. Thanks Pig! Shhh
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:13 pm

But he did.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:17 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
But he did.

One of the rules on this board, if I'm remembering correctly, is that we are supposed to back up our claims with real proof. So far you have claimed that Kim wanted Clinton to do this but there is no proof otherwise. I guess I'm just supposed to take your word for it?? laugh until I cry laugh until I cry Sorry, I can't.
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:20 pm

I should have been kicked off months ago then...CAUSE I CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING!

He did though.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:22 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:

He did though.

Now you are just being obtuse. I guess this discussion has reached it's limit. Thanks for wasting my time. doh When you have something more than assumptions, feel free to post about it. Sleep
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:26 pm

gringaloca wrote:
SKINNYPIG wrote:

He did though.

Now you are just being obtuse. I guess this discussion has reached it's limit. Thanks for wasting my time. doh When you have something more than assumptions, feel free to post about it. Sleep

At last! You are right. Grin
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Political forums tend to be more cerebral in nature. As a result, being prepared to back up our opinions with facts gives us credibility.

Since that is not happening here, I assume that this thread has ran it's course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea   President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President Clinton gets journalists released from N. Korea
Page 1 of 1