The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

President Obama's Notre Dame address

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

President Obama's Notre Dame address Empty
PostSubject: President Obama''s Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Did anyone else watch? I was impressed by his words and those of the university president, Father Jenkins.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/16/obama.notre.dame/index.html

Father Jenkins earned an honor from the graduating seniors.

http://newsinfo.nd.edu/news/11730-2009-graduates-honor-father-jenkins-with-senior-class-fellow-award
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 6:03 pm

I'm more of a action kind of guy... Words are meaningless without action.. And so far Obama's actions haven't matched his words.. But he does make a pretty speech...
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
Did anyone else watch? I was impressed by his words and those of the university president, Father Jenkins.

http://newsinfo.nd.edu/news/11730-2009-graduates-honor-father-jenkins-with-senior-class-fellow-award

It was very bright and I love his sense of humor. He can actually put together a beautiful, uplifting speech without stumbling all over himself and looking like a drunken middle school dropout. lol. I do miss Bush though. It was so entertaining watching him try to sound intelligent but I know it wasn't all his fault. He was basically Howdy Doody and Dick Cheney was the one running the country from his private luxury bunker. lol
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:28 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
I'm more of a action kind of guy... Words are meaningless without action.. And so far Obama's actions haven't matched his words.. But he does make a pretty speech...
It's how he got elected... Laughing Who Me?

No, I refuse to watch any of it. Count me as one of those that felt he had no business being there.
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:
It's how he got elected... Laughing Who Me?

No, I refuse to watch any of it. Count me as one of those that felt he had no business being there.

Okay, Judge, I've got to ask you...no problem when President Bush spoke in 2001? The church is firmly against the death penalty, too, yet Bush was firmly pro-death penalty.

If you don't listen to Obama's speech, do yourself a favor and listen to Father Jenkins speech. It's one of the best I have heard in a long, long time. Judge, per our conversation on "dialogue," you would find common ground with it.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:35 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:

It was very bright and I love his sense of humor. He can actually put together a beautiful, uplifting speech without stumbling all over himself and looking like a drunken middle school dropout. lol. I do miss Bush though. It was so entertaining watching him try to sound intelligent but I know it wasn't all his fault. He was basically Howdy Doody and Dick Cheney was the one running the country from his private luxury bunker. lol

Gringa, though I respect your opinion on President Bush and VP Cheney, let's not turn this thread into a Bush bashing/Bush defending thread. We have more current issues to discuss.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
Okay, Judge, I've got to ask you...no problem when President Bush spoke in 2001? The church is firmly against the death penalty, too, yet Bush was firmly pro-death penalty.

If you don't listen to Obama's speech, do yourself a favor and listen to Father Jenkins speech. It's one of the best I have heard in a long, long time. Judge, per our conversation on "dialogue," you would find common ground with it.
I don't have a problem with the death penalty, myself. Apples to oranges for me. A murderer loses their rights when they take the life of an innocent. One that goes through with abortion commits the same act as the murderer in my eyes, so Obama supporting that and speaking at Notre Dame tells me he's a hypocrite, and so are those at Notre Dame that allowed it. I lost a lot of respect for Notre Dame.

Last edited by Judge Roy Bean on Sun May 17, 2009 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:

I don't have a problem with the death penalty, myself. Apples to oranges for me. A murderer loses their rights when they take the life of an innocent. One that goes through with abortion commits the same act as the murderer in my eyes, so Obama supporting that and speaking at Notre Dame tells me he's a hypocrite, and so are those at Notre Dame that allowed it.

Okay. So you would have a problem with any college, not just a Catholic one, giving Obama an honorary degree and allowing him to give the commencement address?

I'm just trying to understand.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
]

Okay. So you would have a problem with any college, not just a Catholic one, giving Obama an honorary degree and allowing him to give the commencement address?

No, only those that defend the unborn, i.e. Notre Dame.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:54 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:
]

No, only those that defend the unborn, i.e. Notre Dame.

But catholicism is against the death penalty, yet no disdain for ND against allowing Bush to speak?

It's not like catholic teachings say, "well, we're kinda against the death penalty, but abortion - now we are firmly against that." Both are wrong, according to catholic teachings.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
But catholicism is against the death penalty, yet no disdain for ND against allowing Bush to speak?

It's not like catholic teachings say, "well, we're kinda against the death penalty, but abortion - now we are firmly against that." Both are wrong, according to catholic teachings.
Catholicism is against several things I agree with, I suppose that makes me a hypocrite as well. It's just that when it comes to the most innocent, I draw the line.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:

Catholicism is against several things I agree with, I suppose that makes me a hypocrite as well. It's just that when it comes to the most innocent, I draw the line.

No, I just don't understand that outcry from so many on allowing President Obama to speak because he supports things that go against catholic teachings when there wasn't outcry for allowing President Bush to when he, too, supports policies that go against catholic teachings.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
No, I just don't understand that outcry from so many on allowing President Obama to speak because he supports things that go against catholic teachings when there wasn't outcry for allowing President Bush to when he, too, supports policies that go against catholic teachings.
The way I look at it is not many people have any sympathy for coldblooded murderers, but the same people feel it their human responsibility to try to protect the innocent. That's how I feel about it anyways.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:27 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:
The way I look at it is not many people have any sympathy for coldblooded murderers, but the same people feel it their human responsibility to try to protect the innocent. That's how I feel about it anyways.

Oh, I understand your personal feelings about the issues. I just don't understand how ND being a catholic university fits in, allowing Bush but then the outcry against Obama.
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler
Wyatt Earp

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 11:44 pm

The belief that the Catholic Church views abortion and the death penalty on the same level of evil is one of the most mistaken topics today. The Catholic Church GREATLY stresses the evil of abortion much more than the death penalty. That is not me speaking, that is the US Conference of Catholic of Bishops words which were blessed by both Pope John Paul II and Benedict XVI. In the latest voter guide, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops mentioned five voting topics that are inherently evil and can never be justified: 1) abortion, 2) gay marriage, 3) embryonic stem cell research, 4) human cloning and 5) well.... my mind has gone blank on the fifth one.

Anyways, in the commentary the US Conf of Catholic Bishops specifically pointed out why they did not include the death penalty. The commented that the death penalty is not inherently evil because in some nations which do not have the resources for a sufficient prison system, they could be ethically and morally justified in using the death penalty for the protection of the public. They added that in the US, Canada, and Europe the ethical and moral use of the death penalty would be extremely rare if ever. However, they noted that a Catholic could be in favor of the death penalty and be in good communion in the church however they encouraged all US Catholics to be against the death penalty. A Catholic could not be for abortion, gay marriage, embryonic stem cell research or human cloning and be in good communion with the church. That would be like a mormon saying the Book of Mormon is a bunch of baloney.

So stating that, Notre Dame or any other Catholic University could invite GWB to their school and be in good favor with the church but could not invite Pres Obama with out cry.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 12:05 am

So, you're saying that the Catholic church is "kind of" against the death penalty?
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler
Wyatt Earp

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:27 am

Annie Oakley wrote:
So, you're saying that the Catholic church is "kind of" against the death penalty?

No, the church is very much against the death penalty and feels it should be only used when no other choice is available which may be never except possibly in countries where the resources do not exist to build a safe prison system to protect the public.

However, to put the death penalty on the same level as abortion as topics the church sees as abhorrent would not be correct.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 3:24 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:

No, the church is very much against the death penalty and feels it should be only used when no other choice is available which may be never except possibly in countries where the resources do not exist to build a safe prison system to protect the public.

However, to put the death penalty on the same level as abortion as topics the church sees as abhorrent would not be correct.

My point is that if any uproar should exist (and I think Father Jenkins hit the mark with his speech on why no only there shouldn't be, but why it should be celebrated), then there should be for any person (Pres. Bush included) that fully supports what the church is against.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President Obama's Notre Dame address   President Obama's Notre Dame address I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President Obama's Notre Dame address
Page 1 of 1