The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Look Out, It's On It's Way!

Go down 
+6
SKINNYPIG
Lucas McCain
gringaloca
Wyatt Earp
Annie Oakley
Mongo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

Look Out, It's On It's Way! Empty
PostSubject: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Top Obama Adviser: Congress Will Approve Government-Owned Health-Care This Summer doh

Quote :
“I really do,” said Axelrod. “I think there's a sense of urgency about health care reform. As I said, every family knows--they've seen their premiums double in the last, in the last decade; they've seen their deductibles grow; they're paying more for less. And businesses are feeling it, particularly small businesses, but all businesses; and we see it in the government, in these climbing deficits. So, I think that there is a consensus that something has to be done.

"And I think, unlike 1993, Harry, when there was a solid opposition in the business community, in the insurance community, and so on, you don't see that now," said Axelrod. "You see coalitions, a broad recognition for change. So, I do think it'll happen this summer."
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Mongo, do you think that our healthcare system is fine the way that it is?
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler
Wyatt Earp

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 3:21 pm

The rumors I hear is that it will not be government owned but instead, subsidized for those under certain thresh hold amounts. I think Germany runs a similar type of program.
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler
Wyatt Earp

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:
The rumors I hear is that it will not be government owned but instead, subsidized for those under certain thresh hold amounts. I think Germany runs a similar type of program.

Scratch that, it looks like it will be modelled after Medicare.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:
Wyatt Earp wrote:

Scratch that, it looks like it will be modelled after Medicare.

Yes, and I can't wait. Medicare should be available to all US citizens. I have friends who can't go to the doctor because they can't afford the bills. Not to mention that one of the biggest problems with our economy is the totally out of control healthcare industry. It's one of the biggest causes of bankruptcy. Totally ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Now look at how they want us to pay for it.. Another tax on those making less than $250,000 a year.. Another lie... doh http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31106408
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
Now look at how they want us to pay for it.. Another tax on those making less than $250,000 a year.. Another lie... doh http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31106408

Let me ask what Annie asked earlier... Are you happy with the way our health-care the way it is? I believe it's horrible in it's current state. Not everyone is able to obtain health care if they need it. When they are finally forced to go because they become so ill it can no longer be ignored, they go and the disease or problem is already so advanced that they wrack up horrible bills in testing and diagnostics and then treatment. Lots of this could be caught early on and save us ALL a ton of money. Let's think about how many people file bankruptcy every day because of the mountain of medical bills they will never be able to pay. Who ends up paying for that? We all do. I'd much rather pay a tiny bit more in taxes to save lives and people from bankruptcy court thus costing me even more money than continue on with the current system. It is failing and failing horribly. There is no reason why every American can't have health insurance. We've relied on the private sector to take care of this problem and their greed has taken over and failed us all. We are supposed to be the greatest country in the world and we have millions suffering because they can't get basic health care. That is embarrassing. doh Embarassed PS That article is talking about an idea. Pres. Obama said he would consider it. That doesn't mean that's how it's going to be paid for but either way, we all pay one way or another.

Quote :
On July 17, 2007, Professor Elizabeth Warren from the Harvard Law School testified before the House Committee on the Judiciary that rising health care costs are linked to increased bankruptcy rates among the middle-class. She states that since 2000, “an estimated five million families have filed for bankruptcy in the aftermath of serious medical problems. The current health care finance system is bankrupting hard-working, play-by-the-rules American families.”

Medical bankruptcy can result not only when the primary wage earner requires care, but also when a spouse, child, or elderly relative needs help. And bankruptcy can affect any family. In a February 9, 2005 Washington Post article, Warren writes that good educations and decent jobs are not safeguards against financial disaster. “Most of the medically bankrupt were middle-class homeowners who had been to college and had responsible jobs - until illness struck.”
Health Insurance No Guarantee

It’s not just the uninsured at risk for medical bankruptcy. The underinsured and fully insured are also vulnerable. Warren reports that three-quarters of the medically bankrupt had health insurance. As a result of high premiums, deductibles, and co-pays - as well as uncovered services and policy loopholes - out-of-pocket expenses become insurmountable. Even families with superior coverage find themselves filing for bankruptcy.
Families are more at risk when the primary wage earner is injured or becomes ill. The family suffers not only because of the increased medical costs, but also because the wage earner might no longer be able to work. As a result, the family loses both income and health coverage, either immediately or soon after. In certain circumstances, individuals might qualify for COBRA coverage, but the premiums can be quite expensive, much too expensive for someone with no job and mounting medical bills.
Congress Reacts to Bankruptcies

Families such as those in the Harvard study often take out second and third mortgages and run up stiff credit card debts. Not surprisingly, these cycles of debt and lost income lead many families to declare bankruptcy.

In 2005, Congress took notice of this trend and passed the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act. The act, however, does little to protect consumers, but instead protects the credit card companies - by making it more difficult for individuals to declare bankruptcy. Ironically, members of Congress are covered by the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program and do not have to worry about being financially ruined by illness, which might explain how they could pass the act with so little regard to its impact on the sick and injured.

In this past year, however, at least some members of Congress appear to have had a change of heart. The Medical Bankruptcy Fairness Act of 2008, introduced in January, amends federal bankruptcy law to take into account medically distressed debtors. In February, the act was referred to the Subcommittee on Commercial and Administrative Law. And that’s where it still sits. Perhaps Congress is waiting for a few million more to lose everything before they step in.

Link

Last edited by gringaloca on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 5:30 pm

We already have medicaid for people with no insurance or no way to pay..
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 5:32 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
We already have medicaid for people with no insurance or no way to pay..

No we don't. Medicaid is based on income. You can't get medicaid simply because you have no insurance and/or can't pay.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 5:38 pm

My wife is the director of nursing at a out-patient surgery center and nearly 70% of the surgeries are paid by medicaid... NO one is turned away..
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
My wife is the director of nursing at a out-patient surgery center and nearly 70% of the surgeries are paid by medicaid... NO one is turned away..

Really? Tell that to my best friend. Tell that to my sister in law. Yes, they are turned away and all the time. 70% if covered by medicaid? Just imagine what the percentage would be if EVERYONE could qualify for it. Not to mention that uninsured people don't have out-patient surgery because they can't afford it. Do you have insurance?
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:03 pm

I'm sure that gringa is better at the research than me, but there are a large number of individuals that are in precarious positions due to sudden illnesses, accidents, etc. It's been awhile, but I've read articles/seen it on feature stories on several occassions.
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler
Wyatt Earp

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:13 pm

I have always been told that those who do not qualify for medicaid it is because the income is too high and they have the ability to purchase health insurance whether they choose to or not. Now, whether that is the truth or not, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Medicaid pays for all but a three dollar co-pay.. The 70% figure is the percentage of the surgeries that medicaid pays for versus patients that have insurance..
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:21 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:
I have always been told that those who do not qualify for medicaid it is because the income is too high and they have the ability to purchase health insurance whether they choose to or not. Now, whether that is the truth or not, I don't know.
And they usually drive a nice new, shiny pick-up pulling a nice boat... I would like a new truck, but silly me I chose to buy health insurance for my family instead...
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
Medicaid pays for all but a three dollar co-pay.. The 70% figure is the percentage of the surgeries that medicaid pays for versus patients that have insurance..

I'm still stuck on your comment about how nobody gets turned away from Medicaid when I know that is totally untrue. I know tons of people who have no insurance and would LOVE to qualify for medicaid but do not. Not everyone has assess to health-insurance. That's just a fact. I don't care how much money you make... paying for a 3 grand MRI isn't something you can just fit into your monthly budget without feeling a hit in the wallet. It's easy for some to say that universal health-care isn't an issue when they themselves have good insurance and don't have loved ones suffering because they can't see a doctor without giving up groceries for a week, etc. I know many people who are in the gap who make too much money (and by too much I mean like $1200 for a family of four in a month), or their employers do not offer insurance, etc. I am disabled so I qualify for medicare but even for that I had to hire an attorney and FIGHT the system when my disability is pretty cut and dry. If I hadn't of obtained a good attorney, I wouldn't have got it. Health insurance companies are going to spend an absolute ton of money trying to convince the american people that they should be AFRAID of universal health care. Why? Because they don't want to lose their private jets and vacation homes in the south of France not because any of the crap they peddle is true.

I know from decades of personal experience that the health industry is evil and that things need to change.
14,000 people lose their health insurance a day. The United States is 29th in the world for infant mortality under countries like Costa Rica. So anyone that says we have the best health-care in the world is pulling your leg. 46 million people in the US do not have health insurance. I'm sure that if they all qualified for medicaid 60% of US citizens who believe that health care reform is more important than ever before wouldn't exist. It's easy for senators and blow hard rich folk who have wonderful health care plans to say that the universal health care plan is bad. They don't have to worry about losing everything they have if they find a lump in their armpit or have a mysterious cough that just won't go away.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:37 pm

^ I realize our system is not what it should be.. and corporate greed is rampant and the cost is high and you hear terrible stories of people who can't pay etc.. But socialized care is not the answer unless they can find a way to fund it without robbing the middle class even more.. Then I'll be paying for my insurance AND for others who don't or can not...
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm still stuck on your comment about how nobody gets turned away from Medicaid when I know that is totally untrue.

Yes they do get turned down by medicare but if they need treatment they get it...
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
^ I realize our system is not what it should be.. and corporate greed is rampant and the cost is high and you hear terrible stories of people who can't pay etc.. But socialized care is not the answer unless they can find a way to fund it without robbing the middle class even more.. Then I'll be paying for my insurance AND for others who don't or can not...

Are we not our brothers keeper? I find it really hard to be a Christian and not want to share what I have with others. And if you think that socialized medical care is bad, then we also have to do away with medicare and medicaid.

And I'm glad you clarified that not everyone qualifies for medicaid because that's far from the truth but your statement that says that if people need care, they will get it, well, that's not true either. A lady I know from high school was told that if she didn't have health insurance they would not do the surgery to remove her breasts. She had a large cancerous mass in one of her breast (stage 3 breast cancer). She also had cancer cells in most of her lymth nodes so receiving the surgery and chemo/radiation treatments quickly was very important. That's why you see cans sitting around at gas stations asking for money. Lots of hospitals and doctors will not do the surgeries without the money upfront or approved insurance upfront. Many people die waiting to raise enough money or begging insurance companies to approve procedures.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Lots of hospitals and doctors will not do the surgeries without the money upfront or approved insurance upfront. Many people die waiting to raise enough money or begging insurance companies to approve procedures.

And lots of hospitals and doctors will..
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:01 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
Lots of hospitals and doctors will not do the surgeries without the money upfront or approved insurance upfront. Many people die waiting to raise enough money or begging insurance companies to approve procedures.

And lots of hospitals and doctors will..

Yeah after searching for months and possibly dying in the process of finding a place. Lots of these hospitals are far away and people can't get there because they don't have the money. That care should be available at all hospitals and by all doctors. You shouldn't have to search and get sicker in the process.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:37 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:

Are we not our brothers keeper? I find it really hard to be a Christian and not want to share what I have with others. And if you think that socialized medical care is bad, then we also have to do away with medicare and medicaid.

And I'm glad you clarified that not everyone qualifies for medicaid because that's far from the truth but your statement that says that if people need care, they will get it, well, that's not true either. A lady I know from high school was told that if she didn't have health insurance they would not do the surgery to remove her breasts. She had a large cancerous mass in one of her breast (stage 3 breast cancer). She also had cancer cells in most of her lymth nodes so receiving the surgery and chemo/radiation treatments quickly was very important. That's why you see cans sitting around at gas stations asking for money. Lots of hospitals and doctors will not do the surgeries without the money upfront or approved insurance upfront. Many people die waiting to raise enough money or begging insurance companies to approve procedures.

A wonderful lady (wow...when did we go from being girls to ladies????)...one whose family does NOT own a big boat or fancy cars or house. Just a modest middle class family.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
No, it needs to be re-vamped, but we do NOT need what Obama wants us to have.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Mongo wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:
No, it needs to be re-vamped, but we do NOT need what Obama wants us to have.

What changes do you recommend?
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
What changes do you recommend?

For starters, I’d stop including everything to be insured. Think of the way auto insurance is, if our basic maintenance was part of insurance an oil change would cost hundreds of dollars. A simple tune up could cost upwards of a thousand. The same should go for the basic stuff in health care.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Look Out, It's On It's Way!   Look Out, It's On It's Way! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Look Out, It's On It's Way!
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Outpost Saloon :: The Outhouse :: Politics-
Jump to: