The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Landscaping Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

A Landscaping Question Empty
PostSubject: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Anyone know anything about Crape Myrtle? I'm thinking about planting one or two Crape Myrtle trees, but I have some concerns. They are a zone 6 tree and I live in zone 6, however, we get quite a bit of zone 5 weather. Does anyone have any of these trees or any knowledge of them?

Here's a pic of what I'm looking to plant, at least one of them.

A Landscaping Question Myrtle_Dynamite_220
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:02 pm

I have two crape myrtles and they really are nice. Make sure to fully take the size into consideration as they do develop into trees as opposed to bushes if you don't trim them. However, it sounds like you want them full size. Mine are deep pink and quite beautiful in July.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
I have two crape myrtles and they really are nice. Make sure to fully take the size into consideration as they do develop into trees as opposed to bushes if you don't trim them. However, it sounds like you want them full size. Mine are deep pink and quite beautiful in July.
How much zone 5 weather do you get down there? Is it about the same as us? Where do you have yours planted?
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:24 pm

We do get a little zone 5 sometimes. The trees are planted on a southern exposure in my yard in full sun. However, that also means they get full wind, which is really bad for me, as I live at a very high elevation.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:27 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
We do get a little zone 5 sometimes. The trees are planted on a southern exposure in my yard in full sun. However, that also means they get full wind, which is really bad for me, as I live at a very high elevation.
Wind is a concern for me, up here in the winter we get some nasty cold windy days and nights. Do you think it might kill the tree off or cause it to be much smaller than usual? I know jack about trees. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:
Wind is a concern for me, up here in the winter we get some nasty cold windy days and nights. Do you think it might kill the tree off or cause it to be much smaller than usual? I know jack about trees. Embarassed

Well, with my experience, it's going to be a chance. I have planted some at my mother's house that didn't survive. I might suggest protecting them in the winter. I think that I have a book that has some good info in it...I'll look it up for you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:34 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:

Well, with my experience, it's going to be a chance. I have planted some at my mother's house that didn't survive. I might suggest protecting them in the winter. I think that I have a book that has some good info in it...I'll look it up for you! Very Happy
Thanks, I can use the help!
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:

Thanks, I can use the help!

My book actually shows it as a zone 7-9 plant, with 6 in parenthesis. It also recommends protecting them the first 2-3 winters by wrapping with straw and burlap.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 10:15 am

The entire tree?
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 10:52 am

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
The entire tree?

No, from the base about 3-4 feet up.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 12:00 pm

Oh, ok, that's not so bad. I can handle that and it would be worth the trouble for this tree. They are so dang gorgeous!

Thanks for the help, Annie!

Any suggestions for other trees to plant?
Back to top Go down
Kgirl
Kgirl

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:59 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Oh, ok, that's not so bad. I can handle that and it would be worth the trouble for this tree. They are so dang gorgeous!

Yes they are beautiful!!!! MrK and I are thinking about planting a few of these and a Rose of Sharon. Does anyone know when should we plant them?
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:22 pm

Kgirl wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:

Yes they are beautiful!!!! MrK and I are thinking about planting a few of these and a Rose of Sharon. Does anyone know when should we plant them?
In the ground. Laughing Fall Off Chair razz2
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 11:34 pm

Kgirl wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:

I'll check my "garden bible" but you should be able to plant both in early May. I have four Rose of Sharon's and I love them! I'll have to upload some photos of them.
Back to top Go down
Kgirl
Kgirl

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 5:49 am

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Kgirl wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:

In the ground. Laughing Fall Off Chair razz2
I know where (we figured that one out) we just need to know when Smile
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:04 pm

[quote="Kgirl"]
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
I know where (we figured that one out) we just need to know when Smile
Oh, duh!!!
I misread your post. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Landscaping Question   A Landscaping Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Landscaping Question
Page 1 of 1