The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court

Go down 
+8
Annie Oakley
The Drifter
gringaloca
Ja'far
Mongo
Judge Roy Bean
Lucas McCain
Pat Garrett
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 12:46 am

Apparently RNC Chairman called critics of Sotomayors nomination "immature". I bet there is going to be hell to pay when Rush hears this. The apologies will start flowing! ha ha

Quote :
Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele has been calling on conservative critics of Sonia Sotomayor to stop describing her as a racist and instead applaud the “historic aspect” of her nomination to the Supreme Court.

Although Steele’s comments were clearly directed to Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich, he carefully avoided naming names. On Tuesday, however, CNN’s Kiran Chetry attempted to pin Steele down, prompting him into what may have been an inadvertent admission of what he really thinks.

After mentioning “people like Rush Limbaugh, who’ve gone as far as to call her a racist or a ‘reverse racist,’” Chetry asked, “Where is the Republican Party headed in terms of how Sotomayor will be handled at her confirmation hearings?”

“I’ve made it very clear … that we wanted to take a very detailed and appropriate look at her judicial record,” Steele replied. “I think that any rush to judgment at this point is immature and inappropriate.”

As if realizing that he had misspoken, Steele immediately interrupted himself to add a correction, saying, “I don’t think that — rather, ‘premature’ — I don’t think that we need to jump on hot rhetoric at this point.”

Limbaugh called Sotomayor a “racist” and “reverse racist” last week.

The next day, Gingrich followed up by twittering, “new racism is no better than old racism. … White man racist nominee would be forced to withdraw. Latina woman racist should also withdraw.”

Steele concluded his own remarks to Chetry on Tuesday far more diplomatically.

“Her public comments are a little bit disconcerting with respect to whether or not a Latina has a better judgment — to make a better judgment than a white male, she needs to explain that,” Steele quipped.

As Salon’s Glenn Greenwald has pointed out, Sotomayor’s actual judicial record provides no support for charges of reverse racism. In one notable case cited by Greenwald, she was the lone dissenter to uphold the First Amendment rights of a New York City Police Department employee after he was fired for privately making racist remarks.

link
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 4:47 pm

Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Now that she's been called out on her most glaring weakness, I think she will be more aware and do a better job... Still not my pick, but out of all the loonies he could have picked, she seems fairly tame...
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 4:36 pm

Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 7:58 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3