The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court

Go down 
+8
Annie Oakley
The Drifter
gringaloca
Ja'far
Mongo
Judge Roy Bean
Lucas McCain
Pat Garrett
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Pat Garrett
Homesteader
Homesteader
Pat Garrett

Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court Empty
PostSubject: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:57 am

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama has chosen federal Judge Sonia Sotomayor as his nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court, two sources told CNN on Tuesday.

Judge Sonia Sotomayor receives an honorary degree from New York's Pace University in 2003.

Sotomayor would be the first Hispanic and third female U.S. Supreme Court justice if confirmed.

Obama plans to announce his nominee at 10:15 a.m. ET Tuesday, sources told CNN.

Read More
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:03 am

Decent choice.. I haven't done enough research on her yet but found more good than bad.. The left was a little disappointed with the pick so it can't be all bad.. I basically just need to know where she stands on the constitution... More later..
Back to top Go down
Pat Garrett
Homesteader
Homesteader
Pat Garrett

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:06 am

Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:21 am

While on the Circuit Court, Sotomayor's most high profile case involved her voting to disregard the scores on a promotional test for firefighters because none of the highest scorers on the test were minorities. The case was recently heard by the U.S. Supreme Court, but a ruling has not been issued yet.

Not saying this should disqualify her, but I don't like this sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:48 am

Sotomayor said that the gender and ethnicity of judges does and should affect their judicial decision-making.
I couldn't disagree more with that stament.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:54 am

Mongo wrote:
Sotomayor said that the gender and ethnicity of judges does and should affect their judicial decision-making.
Agreed.. Should not matter with Constitutional Law... The Constitution is for ALL CITIZENS...
Back to top Go down
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:28 am

Mongo wrote:

I don't know how you could argue that it doesn't affect their decision-making. Whether it should or not is probably a separate question. Personally, I find the inclusion of these nominees who represent important demographics - so long as they are qualified - to be a benefit to the Court for that reason.

I constantly hear the argument that the Constitution can be objectively interpreted. If it could our courts and judicial system would be much more homogeneous and streamlined. As it stands, Justices and lower court judges have to apply their personal opinions as to how the Constitutions should be applied to particular laws.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:05 pm

Ja'far wrote:
I don't know how you could argue that it doesn't affect their decision-making. Whether it should or not is probably a separate question. Personally, I find the inclusion of these nominees who represent important demographics - so long as they are qualified - to be a benefit to the Court for that reason.

I constantly hear the argument that the Constitution can be objectively interpreted. If it could our courts and judicial system would be much more homogeneous and streamlined. As it stands, Justices and lower court judges have to apply their personal opinions as to how the Constitutions should be applied to particular laws.
I'm arguing that it shouldn't, she's saying it should.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Ja'far wrote:
Mongo wrote:

I think it's very important for all demographics to be represented. It's only fair. People can say that they can view the world from other peoples point of view but you can't know unless you live it.
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Wrangler
Wrangler

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 5:31 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
While on the Circuit Court, Sotomayor's most high profile case involved her voting to disregard the scores on a promotional test for firefighters because none of the highest scorers on the test were minorities. The case was recently heard by the U.S. Supreme Court, but a ruling has not been issued yet.

You beat me to making this point judge. I hope that this is not the normal way of thinking for her but I really believe for that one reason we can see what we are in for. I persoanlly would not want this woman sitting on the highest court in the land.
The liberals preach "fair" and "just", well it just doesn't get any more fair than the highet scores should qualify for the job. I guess it is up the them as to what is fair Scratch Head , in this case she ruled over proven test scores Rolling Eyes . Especially with a job like a firefighter. I don't know about you but in case of God forbid I am involved in a fire then I would want the best qualified men the dept. could have availible.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 5:36 pm

I'm interested in hearing more about his case. At the moment, I am only hearing others' interpretation. Does anyone have a link to actual information about the "fire fighter" case?
Back to top Go down
Pat Garrett
Homesteader
Homesteader
Pat Garrett

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 5:53 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
I'm interested in hearing more about his case. At the moment, I am only hearing others' interpretation. Does anyone have a link to actual information about the "fire fighter" case?
She was a member of the three judge panel that voted to throw out the exam results. She wrote the opinion for the decision.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 6:32 pm

The Drifter wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:

You beat me to making this point judge. I hope that this is not the normal way of thinking for her but I really believe for that one reason we can see what we are in for. I persoanlly would not want this woman sitting on the highest court in the land.
The liberals preach "fair" and "just", well it just doesn't get any more fair than the highet scores should qualify for the job. I guess it is up the them as to what is fair Scratch Head , in this case she ruled over proven test scores Rolling Eyes . Especially with a job like a firefighter. I don't know about you but in case of God forbid I am involved in a fire then I would want the best qualified men the dept. could have availible.

What would repubs do if Fox News and other talking heads didn't exist to tell them what to think? Like 20 years ago before news became entertainment and opinions instead of facts. How would they make up their minds then?
And forgive us "libs" for wanting to be "fair and just". Laughing Some wouldn't say a word about this stuff or tests scores if this was a person that some repub nominated. How quickly some forget about nominations like Harriet Miers who was far from qualified but the republicans didn't care about that then, they wanted her anyway because she was a Bush crony. They say democrats were being mean and harsh because Palin wasn't the brightest bulb and thought we were attacking her and being overly worried about intelligence. Flip flop, flip flop.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 6:39 pm

She's still a little iffy on gun laws and racial decisions.. I'll have to look at a few more of her rulings... http://www.reason.com/news/show/133722.html
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Another red flag... The COA does not make policy..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfC99LrrM2Q&feature=related

Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Did I hear correctly, has she been overturned on several occasions? I even heard she had been somewhat reprimanded by other judges for a few decisions. In her own words she insinuated the upper courts were there to make policy. That in itself should disqualify her IMO...Republican or democrat.

This confirms BHO's disrespect for the Constitution of The United States.
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:35 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Ja'far wrote:
Mongo wrote:

I think it's very important for all demographics to be represented. It's only fair. People can say that they can view the world from other peoples point of view but you can't know unless you live it.

I thought Lady Justice wore a blindfold???????????????
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Wrangler
Wrangler

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:48 am

gringaloca wrote:
The Drifter wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:

What would repubs do if Fox News and other talking heads didn't exist to tell them what to think? Like 20 years ago before news became entertainment and opinions instead of facts. How would they make up their minds then?
And forgive us "libs" for wanting to be "fair and just". Laughing Some wouldn't say a word about this stuff or tests scores if this was a person that some repub nominated. How quickly some forget about nominations like Harriet Miers who was far from qualified but the republicans didn't care about that then, they wanted her anyway because she was a Bush crony. They say democrats were being mean and harsh because Palin wasn't the brightest bulb and thought we were attacking her and being overly worried about intelligence. Flip flop, flip flop.
laugh until I cry laugh until I cry laugh until I cry Classic !!!! What would the liberals do without thew main stream mediia, CNN and especially MSNBS/NBC hate machine to tell them how to think. pot..meet kettle Rolling Eyes Stir The Pot .
Grinc, you seem to have major problems with anyone that doesn't bow down to Obama and his band of liberals. You are very well entitled to your opinion but tend to try and get personal when someone points out a fact/facts about a subject. Should want yo post an opinion, that's fine. I don't think that you are qualified to tell others what to post or to "spin" what you don't like into something else. BTW, you are not a mind reader either so don't try and post thoughts of others. Did I quote you.....NO, Did anyone even mention Sarah Palin in this thread......NO! As I have said before on here,you have the right to post your opinion but so do others. I respect other rights to post, just wish that you would do the same. I don't think it is just my post either, you just seem to have a problem with anyone that has a different point of view than you about anything. I have disagreed with others on this forum as well but was not met with this kind of rebuttal/quote that you have done more than once on me and others. Here is a news flash for you.....it doesn't work that way! Post what you want, that is the way this works I believe but just know bc it is you that post something that others have right to their opinion as well.

I know that I post with an "edge" at times, that's just what I do. I do try to not call anyone out personally though so I apologize to the mods for saying what I did on a personal nature in this post. Should I have done that before I apologize to anyone that thinks I have done that with one of their post. My sarcastic comments have been about subject/person a post a thread was about ad not personal towards any member, at least that's what I have tried and meant to do.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Mongo wrote:
This is the rules for jury instruction in Ohio.

GENERAL INSTRUCTION
Consider all the evidence and make your findings with intelligence and impartiality without bias, sympathy and prejudice so that the plaintiff(s) and the defendant(s) will feel their case was fairly and impartially tried.
You must not be influenced by any consideration of sympathy or prejudice. Sympathy is a common human experience and the law does not expect you to be free from such normal reactions. However, the law requires you to disregard sympathy and not permit it to influence your verdict. You should treat each party with equal consideration[, whether that party is an individual or a business]. It is your duty to weigh the evidence carefully, to decide all the disputed questions of fact, to apply the instructions of the judge to your findings and to render your verdict accordingly. In fulfilling your duty as jurors, your efforts must be to arrive at a fair and just verdict.

Both Obama and Sotomayor said you should take empathy into account when making a judicial decision. Wrong.
Back to top Go down
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Mongo wrote:

Perhaps it shouldn't, but I don't believe they are separable.
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Ja'far wrote:
Mongo wrote:

Perhaps it shouldn't, but I don't believe they are separable.

Then maybe the United Staes should do away with the supreme court all together.
Back to top Go down
Big Jake
Homesteader
Homesteader
Big Jake

Location : Life is hard. It's harder if you vote for people who raise taxes.

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 10:03 am

SKINNYPIG wrote:
Did I hear correctly, has she been overturned on several occasions? I even heard she had been somewhat reprimanded by other judges for a few decisions. In her own words she insinuated the upper courts were there to make policy. That in itself should disqualify her IMO...Republican or democrat.

She's been overturned 60% of the time. That's incompetence. She's not qualified to be there if she's been smacked down that many times.

And I SURE don't want someone as injudicious as that "making policy" from the bench, for a lifetime....
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 10:47 am

Big Jake wrote:
She's been overturned 60% of the time. That's incompetence. She's not qualified to be there if she's been smacked down that many times.

And I SURE don't want someone as injudicious as that "making policy" from the bench, for a lifetime....
thumb
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 11:51 am

I hope that no nominee ever has to go through what the Dems. did to Clarence Thomas...
Back to top Go down
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Big Jake wrote:
SKINNYPIG wrote:

That actually is not a bad record. The Supreme Court overturns 75% of the cases it hears. Not to mention she's only had five cases reviewed by the SCOTUS. It's a miserable test for "competence."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court   Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sotomayor picked for Supreme Court
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next