The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning Empty
PostSubject: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:17 pm

Legislation would bar anyone younger than 18 from tanning without a physician’s prescription.

Quote :
COLUMBUS — A local state lawmaker has again taken up the cause of keeping teens out of tanning beds.
State Reps. Courtney Combs, R-Hamilton, and Lorraine Fende, D-Willowick, introduced legislation Wednesday, May 6, to ban indoor tanning for anyone younger than 18.

“There is direct evidence that exposure to UV radiation during indoor tanning damages the DNA in the skin cells,” he said. “Studies have shown that 80 percent of skin damage happens before the age of 18.”

Why must the state get involved? Can't we just let the parents make these decisions? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Mongo wrote:
Legislation would bar anyone younger than 18 from tanning without a physician’s prescription.

Quote :
COLUMBUS — A local state lawmaker has again taken up the cause of keeping teens out of tanning beds.
State Reps. Courtney Combs, R-Hamilton, and Lorraine Fende, D-Willowick, introduced legislation Wednesday, May 6, to ban indoor tanning for anyone younger than 18.

“There is direct evidence that exposure to UV radiation during indoor tanning damages the DNA in the skin cells,” he said. “Studies have shown that 80 percent of skin damage happens before the age of 18.”

Why must the state get involved? Can't we just let the parents make these decisions? Rolling Eyes

Because there are some pretty stupid or just plain absent parents out there. Kids think they are immortal. Sometimes the state has to step in to protect kids when their parents are too dumb to do it themselves. Sad but true.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:36 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Because there are some pretty stupid or just plain absent parents out there. Kids think they are immortal. Sometimes the state has to step in to protect kids when their parents are too dumb to do it themselves. Sad but true.
While I can agree with you to a degree, I'm sorry, this is getting to the point of intrusion in our lives. Did you know there is a group out there trying to get a law passed to have someones kids taken away if they smoke in their house with children. It's getting so I don't even recognize my country anymore. No
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Mongo wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
While I can agree with you to a degree, I'm sorry, this is getting to the point of intrusion in our lives. Did you know there is a group out there trying to get a law passed to have someones kids taken away if they smoke in their house with children. It's getting so I don't even recognize my country anymore. No

While I was taking a shower I thought about this and something boggles me. Why do republicans scream and holler about smaller government and how the state is intruding in their personal lives, etc. And how we should be able to make our own decisions without the government having total control...
These are the same people who think that government should have control over a womans body and whether or not she should have an abortion and whether or not two people who are in love with each other should get married. Republicans need to pick. Do you want government control or not. Poop or get off the pot... doh

I'm outta here!
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 6:16 pm

gringaloca wrote:
While I was taking a shower I thought about this and something boggles me. Why do republicans scream and holler about smaller government and how the state is intruding in their personal lives, etc. And how we should be able to make our own decisions without the government having total control...
These are the same people who think that government should have control over a womans body and whether or not she should have an abortion and whether or not two people who are in love with each other should get married. Republicans need to pick. Do you want government control or not. Poop or get off the pot... doh

I'm outta here!
After you dried off, did it occur to you that changing the law for gays to marry is more government intrusion, of both Americans and religions?
As to control over a womans body, with that comment I can assume that you think prostitution should be legal everywhere, after all, it's her body. What about the body of the unborn child? Why is it that Democrats cry out about individual rights but they could care less about the absolute most vulnerable people there are. That's something that really boggles my mind. Scratch Head

Enjoy your night out. Beer Toast
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 1:06 pm

Mongo wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

I'm outta here!
After you dried off, did it occur to you that changing the law for gays to marry is more government intrusion, of both Americans and religions?
As to control over a womans body, with that comment I can assume that you think prostitution should be legal everywhere, after all, it's her body. What about the body of the unborn child? Why is it that Democrats cry out about individual rights but they could care less about the absolute most vulnerable people there are. That's something that really boggles my mind. Scratch Head

Enjoy your night out. Beer Toast

I don't see how changing the law about gay marriage could intrude on "Americans and religions". These people are Americans and many belong to religions already. So that makes no sense to me at all.

As far as prostitution goes, it's going to happen whether it is legal or not, so why not make it legal and have it regulated? It would be safer. It could be taxed. The same with marijuana. Make it legal, tax the heck out of it.

As far as abortion goes. It's the same thing I said before. Either you want big government in control or you don't. You can't pick and choose what you want them to enforce because of your particular religious beliefs. There are many religions in this county. We can't cater to all of them. Religion and government do not mix and should not mix. It even says so in the Bible.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 6:18 pm

gringaloca wrote:
I don't see how changing the law about gay marriage could intrude on "Americans and religions". These people are Americans and many belong to religions already. So that makes no sense to me at all.

As far as prostitution goes, it's going to happen whether it is legal or not, so why not make it legal and have it regulated? It would be safer. It could be taxed. The same with marijuana. Make it legal, tax the heck out of it.

As far as abortion goes. It's the same thing I said before. Either you want big government in control or you don't. You can't pick and choose what you want them to enforce because of your particular religious beliefs. There are many religions in this county. We can't cater to all of them. Religion and government do not mix and should not mix. It even says so in the Bible.
Simple, it infringes on the rights of those that want marriage to be between a man and a woman, the way it should be. The percentage of gays compared to the percentage of heterosexuals is a huge difference. The percentage of gays that want to marry creates an even bigger gap. The "squeaky wheel" doesn't always need to get the grease, nor should it.

I'm surprised to hear you say prostitution should be legal, but I totally agree with you, same with marijuana. thumb

Forget about religion, abortion should be looked at as wrong just from a human viewpoint.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 6:31 pm

Mongo wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

Simple, it infringes on the rights of those that want marriage to be between a man and a woman, the way it should be. The percentage of gays compared to the percentage of heterosexuals is a huge difference. The percentage of gays that want to marry creates an even bigger gap. The "squeaky wheel" doesn't always need to get the grease, nor should it.

I'm surprised to hear you say prostitution should be legal, but I totally agree with you, same with marijuana. thumb

Forget about religion, abortion should be looked at as wrong just from a human viewpoint.

Mongo, surely you can do better than that! There could be a whole plethora of things that some don't want others to do.

For example:
1) own guns
2) smoke tobacco
3) drink alcohol
4) listen to rock music
5) etc.

Why should I care what others do with their personal lives? Why should what I want dictate what they can do?
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
Mongo wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

Mongo, surely you can do better than that! There could be a whole plethora of things that some don't want others to do.

For example:
1) own guns
2) smoke tobacco
3) drink alcohol
4) listen to rock music
5) etc.

Why should I care what others do with their personal lives? Why should what I want dictate what they can do?

Once again, you've hit it on the head Annie. Some Christians don't believe in dancing or playing musical instruments. Should we make that illegal as well? That way of thinking can lead to one heck of a slippery slope legally. And I still don't see how two people of the same sex falling in love and getting married is going to infringe on me and my hetero marriage. Gays have been getting married for years now and I don't fear that my way of life is in some sort of danger.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 1:44 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:

For example:
1) own guns
2) smoke tobacco
3) drink alcohol
4) listen to rock music
5) etc.

Fair enough. I have to ask though, why should we give into a small minority on the institution of marriage? Why the special right for them?

Gringa, it has zero to do with fear, it has to do with what the vast majority feels is what the definition of marriage is and has always been. I don't know why you always seem to try to inject the word fear into everything that opposes a liberal view. We're not afraid, just fed up.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Mongo wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:

For example:
1) own guns
2) smoke tobacco
3) drink alcohol
4) listen to rock music
5) etc.

Fair enough. I have to ask though, why should we give into a small minority on the institution of marriage? Why the special right for them?

Gringa, it has zero to do with fear, it has to do with what the vast majority feels is what the definition of marriage is and has always been. I don't know why you always seem to try to inject the word fear into everything that opposes a liberal view. We're not afraid, just fed up.

There may be only a small minority that would be directly affected by gay marriage, but that are many more that are heterosexual that think that they should be allowed to marry. And it's not a special right - it's the same right that you and I have, to marry the person that we love.

I personally am fine with doing away with government approved marriages. Let everyone be allowed civil unions for government purposes and give churches the ability to grant marriages as they see fit.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
I personally am fine with doing away with government approved marriages. Let everyone be allowed civil unions for government purposes and give churches the ability to grant marriages as they see fit.
That I can totally get on board with!
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Mongo wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:
That I can totally get on board with!

Beer Toast See...we can find common ground.

And congrats on your wrangler status! Our second one!
Back to top Go down
Doc Holiday
Administrator
Doc Holiday

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 4:06 pm

I think we need to try to get back on the original topic of the thread. thumb
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:35 pm

Mongo wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

Or should we look at abortion as a human rights issue? Shouldn't that living fetus be given the same rights to freedom and liberty that his/her mother enjoyed?

Sorry Doc, I'm still not on topic.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Looks like we are finished with this topic. Certainly, everyone feel free to make one of our tangents into new topics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning   Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ohio Bill Aims to Ban Youth Tanning
Page 1 of 1