The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Queen Michelle the First?

Go down 
+2
The Drifter
Mongo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

Queen Michelle the First? Empty
PostSubject: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Quote :
Michelle Obama wants a bigger role in her husband’s administration, according to The Washington Post. Unlike Laura Bush, who focused on a few peripheral issues, Obama wants a seat at the table when key policies are made.

Obama’s new chief of staff, Susan Sher, is part of the crucial 8:15 a.m. White House staff meeting. The first lady’s team of more than 20 has been told to think “strategically” about how to make her a player on policies she cares about.

This could be a very bad idea.

Washington insiders haven’t seen a first lady this ambitious since Hillary Clinton, without question the most powerful holder of that unofficial office.

Clinton put herself in charge of her husband’s plans to radically reform health care, and the nation is still paying the price for her mistakes.

Read more:
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Wrangler
Wrangler

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 3:30 pm

There is nothing in that article that suprise me in the least as well as there is nothing about Mrs. Obama that impresses me. As for the comparisons to Hillary, I am no Hillary fan either but must say that Hillary Clinton has far more knowledge on how to govern than President Obama or his wife. Mrs. Obama just has always given me the the impression of being so arrogant that she is above anything or anyone an wants all to bow to her, just my opinion. ................................Or maybe it's just that she is still not proud of her country and feels that this president is not doing a good job..... Scratch Head rofl

I lost all respect for her with her "rant" of a speech when she proclaimed that for the first time she was proud of her country. That told me ll that I needed to know Rolling Eyes . I personally have always been proud of this country and still am....regrdless of who was or is in office or if I agreed with them on policies or not. That imo is called being an American! Flag

That is just my opinion of the first Lady and all I will say about it. I am sure that some like her and that is fine with me as well.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:55 pm

I'll concede that the first Lady needs a few staffers but this is crazy....
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2009/01/more_michelle_obama_staff_appo.html
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Wrangler
Wrangler

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 12:15 am

Lucas McCain wrote:
She is "a legend in her own mind". Rolling Eyes Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roy Rogers
Homesteader
Homesteader
Roy Rogers

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Hillary was not the most powerful first lady by any stretch. Edith Wilson practically was the President the last year and a half of Woodrow Wilson's second term. Even before that, from the time they were wed, she sat in on all cabinet meetings and counsiled the President on all decisions.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 9:53 pm

The Drifter wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:
She is "a legend in her own mind". Rolling Eyes Laughing

She's one of the most powerful women in the country right now. I see nothing wrong with using that power for what she feels is important. It's not her fault that other first ladies weren't that interested in making history. What's that saying...well behaved women rarely make history? I think it's cool that she wants to do more than kiss babies and read to children after the Easter egg hunt. You Go Girl! thumb thumb
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:14 am

gringaloca wrote:
She's one of the most powerful women in the country right now. I see nothing wrong with using that power for what she feels is important. It's not her fault that other first ladies weren't that interested in making history. What's that saying...well behaved women rarely make history? I think it's cool that she wants to do more than kiss babies and read to children after the Easter egg hunt. You Go Girl! thumb thumb
Just one problem here, no one voted for her for anything.
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Wrangler
Wrangler

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 9:12 am

Mongo wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
thumb Very well said.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Mongo wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

She's the presidents wife. Nobody voted for Nancy Reagan when she started the just say no program. Once you put someone in the whitehouse it is naive to believe their spouse isn't going to effect anything. It sounds like to me that some just want the woman to shut up and be a housewife. It's rather rude.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 pm

It's OK for the first Lady to have her pet projects as long as they don't involve policy.. No one elected her to do that...
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
It's OK for the first Lady to have her pet projects as long as they don't involve policy.. No one elected her to do that...

So what do you suggest? Should we hold a vote on whether or not wives can have any say in their husbands line of work? If you think that Mrs. Obama is the first first lady to sway a presidents ideas, you are living on a different planet than I am. They sleep in the same bed every night. First ladies have always helped form policy but it's usually in the background. I don't see what you guys are so worried about anyway. What are you afraid she's going to do?
Back to top Go down
Geronimo
Homesteader
Homesteader
Geronimo

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm not worried about Mrs. Obama at the moment. A lot of these things are sometimes "jumping the gun." Let's see what she actually does.

As to her comments that "the first time she is truly proud of her country," I don't think some people understand that perspective, but I do. If you've always felt as though your group has been second class citizens and suddenly you realize that things have changed, then you might feel overwhelming emotion. It's no problem for me. Cool Shades
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Queen Michelle the First?   Queen Michelle the First? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Queen Michelle the First?
Page 1 of 1