The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Palin's State Attorney General pick

Go down 
+4
gringaloca
Mongo
Ja'far
Annie Oakley
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

Palin's State Attorney General pick Empty
PostSubject: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 2:37 pm

He sounds like a keeper. Rolling Eyes How do these people get through the vetting process?

Quote :
Her controversial nominee for state attorney general, Wayne Ross, was rejected Thursday in a 35-23 vote by the Republican-controlled state Legislature after a week of damaging confirmation hearings that revealed a string of past controversial comments. Ross came under fire for his past defense of a Ku Klux Klan statue and a 1991 quote that said: "If a guy can’t rape his wife, ... who’s he gonna rape?"

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21349.html
Back to top Go down
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 1:23 am

Her actions since the election has ended are paling her previous blunders of intellect. The question of her competence for high office (being that it was already answered by the electorate) should now finally be answered by Republicans.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:31 am

Ja'far wrote:
Her actions since the election has ended are paling her previous blunders of intellect. The question of her competence for high office (being that it was already answered by the electorate) should now finally be answered by Republicans.

I hope that you are right. I could not support her as a candidate for president...well, probably not even for school board! No
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:49 am

Wile I agree that she's proved herself unworthy, I have to say I'm not a bit impressed with Obama thus far or a lot of his picks. This country is in trouble if these are the "best" people we can find.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 2:57 pm

I think she continues to show that she isn't fit for office (I feel sorry for Alaskans) but there is still the people from the right wing fringe that think she is really wonderful. I wonder if it's because they feel that she represents them better than anyone else? What a scary thought. I've had a passport longer than she has and I do know that Africa is a continent and not a country. lol! I don't know about anyone else but I want the people running my government to be considerably smarter and more familiar with the world than I am.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:03 pm

gringaloca wrote:
I think she continues to show that she isn't fit for office (I feel sorry for Alaskans) but there is still the people from the right wing fringe that think she is really wonderful. I wonder if it's because they feel that she represents them better than anyone else? What a scary thought. I've had a passport longer than she has and I do know that Africa is a continent and not a country. lol! I don't know about anyone else but I want the people running my government to be considerably smarter and more familiar with the world than I am.
Do you think Obama has shown he's fit for office?
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Yes, I do. I believe that he has been put in a very difficult situation. He has been handed the keys to the titanic after it hit the iceberg. I feel that he's worked harder in his first few months in office than George W. did in a whole term. People are expecting miracles out of him when the problems he has been handed will take years and even decades to correct. I just find it odd that some people let Bush have free reign without making a peep about his mistakes and even re-elected him and are now expecting Obama to walk on water and fix the world in a month. Why is he held to a different standard?
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:20 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Yes, I do. I believe that he has been put in a very difficult situation. He has been handed the keys to the titanic after it hit the iceberg. I feel that he's worked harder in his first few months in office than George W. did in a whole term. People are expecting miracles out of him when the problems he has been handed will take years and even decades to correct. I just find it odd that some people let Bush have free reign without making a peep about his mistakes and even re-elected him and are now expecting Obama to walk on water and fix the world in a month. Why is he held to a different standard?
You're kidding, right?
I'll be the first to tell you Bush made mistakes, lots of them and I certainly didn't agree with everything he did. However, I've never seen a president get as many free passes as Obama has in such a short time. My God, he went on and on about the deficit that Bust created and in one stroke of the pen he managed to dwarf that deficit. This guy is going to be a nightmare I'm afraid.
What are your opinions of how much trouble he had with the his appointees IRS problems?
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 4:57 pm

Nope, not kidding. Could you explain what sort of free passes you are referring to? And I'll be the first to admit that I am not an economist and the entire situation is very scary for all of us but I haven't heard the republicans come up with any sort of fix it all plan. I mean where was the outrage when the first tarp was rushed through? The first economic plan that the republicans submitted didn't even contain any numbers and was like 16 (don't quote me but it wasn't many) pages long.
As far as his picks. It's Washington DC. I think that Pres Obama went into this job with middle-class, hardworking people in mind. He rolled into Washington and found it totally corrupt. I imagine that it's damn near impossible to find anyone who has any government experience that is squeaky clean. It's a sad fact but he dealt with it the best he could. Once the skeletons started to show up he did the best he could. I mean, is there such a thing as a clean politician? That's an oxymoron. The same could be said about the GOP's picks from the past. Where's Will Rogers when I need him? I'm sure he'd have something funny to say! ha ha
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:25 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Nope, not kidding. Could you explain what sort of free passes you are referring to? And I'll be the first to admit that I am not an economist and the entire situation is very scary for all of us but I haven't heard the republicans come up with any sort of fix it all plan. I mean where was the outrage when the first tarp was rushed through? The first economic plan that the republicans submitted didn't even contain any numbers and was like 16 (don't quote me but it wasn't many) pages long.
As far as his picks. It's Washington DC. I think that Pres Obama went into this job with middle-class, hardworking people in mind. He rolled into Washington and found it totally corrupt. I imagine that it's damn near impossible to find anyone who has any government experience that is squeaky clean. It's a sad fact but he dealt with it the best he could. Once the skeletons started to show up he did the best he could. I mean, is there such a thing as a clean politician? That's an oxymoron. The same could be said about the GOP's picks from the past. Where's Will Rogers when I need him? I'm sure he'd have something funny to say! ha ha
What passes? The media ignores most of his gaffes and have since he started campaigning. He falls all over himself to shake hands with Chavez and it's widely ignored. He bows before a Saudi king and it's widely ignored. He signs a "stimulus package" that he doesn't give anyone ample time to read and the media acts as if it's a brilliant plan, even though they had no idea what was in it. If someone challenges him, they're considered racist by many on the left. It's ridiculous.
I, for one, was not happy at all about the first tarp and also thought it was rushed through. I'll wait to see about having middle-class, hardworking people in mind since I'm one of them, but knowing how liberal he is and the fact that he's a Dem, I'm sure we'll be the ones getting the brunt of his taxes.
As for him rolling into D.C. and finding it totally corrupt, he should be used to it since he was part of the most corrupt political machine while he was in Chicago. You are spot on, however, when you point out that there isn't such a thing as a politician that's squeaky clean.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
What passes? The media ignores most of his gaffes and have since he started campaigning. He falls all over himself to shake hands with Chavez and it's widely ignored. He bows before a Saudi king and it's widely ignored. He signs a "stimulus package" that he doesn't give anyone ample time to read and the media acts as if it's a brilliant plan, even though they had no idea what was in it. If someone challenges him, they're considered racist by many on the left. It's ridiculous.
I, for one, was not happy at all about the first tarp and also thought it was rushed through. I'll wait to see about having middle-class, hardworking people in mind since I'm one of them, but knowing how liberal he is and the fact that he's a Dem, I'm sure we'll be the ones getting the brunt of his taxes.
As for him rolling into D.C. and finding it totally corrupt, he should be used to it since he was part of the most corrupt political machine while he was in Chicago. You are spot on, however, when you point out that there isn't such a thing as a politician that's squeaky clean.

I don't think that the media ignores his gaffes as much as you think that they do. I heard someone on CNN point out that he mentioned the wrong number of nations in reference to the Summit on the Americas.

When did he "fall all over himself" to shake hands with Chavez? I haven't even seen that on FoxNews. I did see him shake hands with him and be personable. I don't think the tactics of our former president have made relations with Chavez any better. I am all for trying something else. I saw his Saudi bow or whatever anyone wants to call it many times on CNN (I have never really watched MSNBC).

I agree that more time could have and should have been given to read the stimulus bill. If it was done so through committee delegation, then more time still seems reasonable.

I don't know where that you are getting that all people that challenge him are considered racist. Do you have an example or two?
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Judge wrote...Sorry I don't know how to do quotes yet. ha ha...

Quote :
"What passes? The media ignores most of his gaffes and have since he started campaigning. He falls all over himself to shake hands with Chavez and it's widely ignored. He bows before a Saudi king and it's widely ignored. He signs a "stimulus package" that he doesn't give anyone ample time to read and the media acts as if it's a brilliant plan, even though they had no idea what was in it. If someone challenges him, they're considered racist by many on the left. It's ridiculous.
As for him rolling into D.C. and finding it totally corrupt, he should be used to it since he was part of the most corrupt political machine while he was in Chicago. You are spot on, however, when you point out that there isn't such a thing as a politician that's squeaky clean."

I guess it all depends on what "news" outlet you listen to. I've seen the media critique every move the man has made. I saw the Chavez handshake a million times. I didn't see what you referred to as falling all over himself. I'm with Annie on this. I'm for trying something different. I am well aware of the situation with Chavez. One of my closest friends is a Venezuelan and I know how crazy the man is. I also know that Bush and Chavez put on quite a show about hating each other for the media but their relationship wasn't as strained as it appears on TV. Bush had no problem taking Chavez's oil, that's for sure.

As far as the bow seen around the world. So what? He bowed. You say that the media doesn't analyze his "gaffes". I beg to differ. I even watched a news program that went as far as measuring the angle of the bow to see what is represented. lol. I guess I feel that a bow isn't such a gaffe compared to Bush kissing the Saudi prince on the cheek and holding his hand. Bush even had a pet name with the Saudi royals...Bandar Bush.

Now regarding the stimulus package. Once again, I'm not an economist so I am as paranoid as the next person about where the money is going but I do know that he is being far more transparent with his plans that the previous administration. They have websites set up that show how much money is being distributed and to whom it is going. Each state has their own site that shows how the money will be improving education, jobs, etc. One of the sites is www.recovery.gov. I just hope for all of us that it works because my husbands job is hanging on a thread and I am disabled. So many of us are just a few checks away from losing our homes, cars, etc.

And I still don't understand why republicans are saying that Obama is going to tax us to death. The only tax that middle class people will deal with is cigarettes and I don't smoke. lol. We actually got a tax break with the rest of the $250 grand and below people in this country on April the 1st so I'm happy about that.

Regarding people being called racists for disagreeing with him. The only people that I have seen called racists regarding Obama were racists. The people at the Palin rallies shoutingracist remarks and calling him a terrorist because his name sounded funny to them was racist. I've witnessed people saying horribly racist things about him when they thought they were in safe company. I endured a week in the hospital next to a family from Carrollton Ky and Kansas calling him names and saying that the day he was elected they were forming a hunt to take him down. And my best friend who is married to a black man was called names in Wal-Mart because she had an Obama shirt. Racism is alive and well and does affect this presidency.

And regarding Chicago.. Yes, Illinois is known for its political corruption but does that make Obama guilty? As I said before clean politics is an oxymoron. It's a problem everywhere, not just Chicago.

Last edited by Doc Holiday on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : By-passing the word filter is not allowed.)
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 11:23 pm

Good post, gringa. I do want to clarify one thing, as regards President Bush's interaction with the Saudi king. He was following the Saudi custom amongst two friends, so his actions there shouldnt' be analyzed too much beyond that. He certainly did want to keep him on his good side, though! Smile

As far as quoting someone else, just hit the "quote" button in their post.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 12:29 am

Annie Oakley wrote:
Good post, gringa. I do want to clarify one thing, as regards President Bush's interaction with the Saudi king. He was following the Saudi custom amongst two friends, so his actions there shouldnt' be analyzed too much beyond that. He certainly did want to keep him on his good side, though! Smile

As far as quoting someone else, just hit the "quote" button in their post.

Thanks for cleaning up my post Annie. It all sorta ran together before. Smile

And I understand that it is custom regarding what Bush did with the Saudi and he was showing respect. So was Obama with his bow. That's why I don't understand why people are upset about it. I think we should be worried more about keeping people on our good side. We may be one of the most powerful countries on earth but we still need lots and lots of friends. I also grew up believing that our country was a beacon of hope to others. I want to feel that way again! Good night everyone!
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Since Annie and gringaloca covered a lot of ground and I'm at work, I will post my response in several posts, some coming later on when I get home.

As to the racist charge I brought up, read through this: AP Confuses Criticism of Obama With ‘Racial Slurs’
Quote :
Proving that the left cannot tell the difference between “racism” and “criticism,” the AP posted a lengthy March 30 story confusing and conflating the two as it pertains to attacks on President Obama. As far as the AP is concerned it seems the whole country is running around with burning crosses and wearing pointy hoods aiming to cast racial epithets at Obama at every turn. It may as well still be the year 1860 around here.
The AP starts its piece by informing the reader that “racial slurs continue” against the president “despite” his “historic achievement.” But the main problem with the piece is that much of the report details political attacks that aren’t really racial in nature but are instead just those normal sorts of political attacks we see against any president. Granted they are tailored for Obama (like his citizenship and religion questions) but they aren’t really “racial” attacks per se. Still, the AP illegitimately lumps any and all attacks against Obama under the rubric of “racial slurs.”
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Shaking hands with Chavez 3 times at one meeting looked rather over the top to me, perhaps I'm more sensitive to things like this than most, but I felt it made him look like he was "falling all over himself" to shake hands with a guy that is a horrible excuse of a leader in Chavez.

The bow before Saudi King Abdullah was ridiculous, IMO. Did he bow to the Queen of England? No. So the "out of respect" argument aint gettin it. He looked like he was offering his head for crying out loud. A US President has no business bowing before a Saudi King. A kiss on the cheek, as Bush did, is acceptable as that is as common as shaking hands in many countries. As to Bush holding hands with the King, I don't know, perhaps thay had a little something going on the side. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 7:08 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Since Annie and gringaloca covered a lot of ground and I'm at work, I will post my response in several posts, some coming later on when I get home.

As to the racist charge I brought up, read through this: AP Confuses Criticism of Obama With ‘Racial Slurs’
Quote :
Proving that the left cannot tell the difference between “racism” and “criticism,” the AP posted a lengthy March 30 story confusing and conflating the two as it pertains to attacks on President Obama. As far as the AP is concerned it seems the whole country is running around with burning crosses and wearing pointy hoods aiming to cast racial epithets at Obama at every turn. It may as well still be the year 1860 around here.
The AP starts its piece by informing the reader that “racial slurs continue” against the president “despite” his “historic achievement.” But the main problem with the piece is that much of the report details political attacks that aren’t really racial in nature but are instead just those normal sorts of political attacks we see against any president. Granted they are tailored for Obama (like his citizenship and religion questions) but they aren’t really “racial” attacks per se. Still, the AP illegitimately lumps any and all attacks against Obama under the rubric of “racial slurs.”

Confuses Criticism of Obama with 'Racial Slurs'? From the supposed article falsely attributing legitimate criticism as racial slurs:

Quote :
In Obama's first two months in office, a New York tabloid took heat over a cartoon appearing to portray the president as a monkey; a California mayor resigned after distributing a picture of watermelons on the White House lawn; and an e-mail making the rounds refers to Obama as "the magic mulatto," with exaggerated ears and nose.

Those sound like racial slurs to me, not legitimate criticism.

Is the discussion of Palin finished?
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Shaking hands with Chavez 3 times at one meeting looked rather over the top to me, perhaps I'm more sensitive to things like this than most, but I felt it made him look like he was "falling all over himself" to shake hands with a guy that is a horrible excuse of a leader in Chavez.

The bow before Saudi King Abdullah was ridiculous, IMO. Did he bow to the Queen of England? No. So the "out of respect" argument aint gettin it. He looked like he was offering his head for crying out loud. A US President has no business bowing before a Saudi King. A kiss on the cheek, as Bush did, is acceptable as that is as common as shaking hands in many countries. As to Bush holding hands with the King, I don't know, perhaps thay had a little something going on the side. Shocked

Did President Bush kiss the Queen on the cheek or hold her hand? Cool Shades
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:30 pm

Ja'far, I don't think that many had much to say about Palin. Thankfully, I think that her time has come and gone.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 6:11 am

Annie Oakley wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:

Did President Bush kiss the Queen on the cheek or hold her hand? Cool Shades
You're not supposed to touch the Queen unless she initiates it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 6:24 am

Ja'far wrote:
Confuses Criticism of Obama with 'Racial Slurs'? From the supposed article falsely attributing legitimate criticism as racial slurs:

Quote :
In Obama's first two months in office, a New York tabloid took heat over a cartoon appearing to portray the president as a monkey; a California mayor resigned after distributing a picture of watermelons on the White House lawn; and an e-mail making the rounds refers to Obama as "the magic mulatto," with exaggerated ears and nose.

Did you read the article or just the "slurs"? They explained it rather well. The cartoon has been explained ad nauseam, some see racial slurs because they want to. Not saying you do, but I do know that it's very true that many that criticize Obama get accused of racism. Just listen to urban talk shows sometime. Rolling Eyes

As to Palin, this topic did get threadjacked, but Annie doesn't seem to mind. I know she just loves to talk about politics!
Back to top Go down
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 am

Mongo wrote:
Ja'far wrote:

Quote :

Did you read the article or just the "slurs"? They explained it rather well. The cartoon has been explained ad nauseam, some see racial slurs because they want to. Not saying you do, but I do know that it's very true that many that criticize Obama get accused of racism. Just listen to urban talk shows sometime. Rolling Eyes

As to Palin, this topic did get threadjacked, but Annie doesn't seem to mind. I know she just loves to talk about politics!

I read both the article linked and the AP article it criticized. The AP article documented racial invectives used against Obama since the election. The linked article contended that the AP article classified legitimate criticism of Obama as racial.

Personally, I have no fear of being accused of any form of racism for criticizing Obama. I certainly haven't seen his critics accused of such.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 am

Ja'far wrote:
I read both the article linked and the AP article it criticized. The AP article documented racial invectives used against Obama since the election. The linked article contended that the AP article classified legitimate criticism of Obama as racial.

Personally, I have no fear of being accused of any form of racism for criticizing Obama. I certainly haven't seen his critics accused of such.
So, are you saying the AP was correct? If so, the example of the cartoon alone was wrong the way the AP perceived it, IMO.

Wasn't Angie Harmon accused of being racist for criticizing Obama, recently? I thought I heard of someone mentioning that recently.
Have you listened to urban talk radio? It's a daily charge there.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Ja'far wrote:
I certainly haven't seen his critics accused of such.
Here's one example of what I've seen.
Quote :
Now white liberals are obvious in their racism because President Barack Obama isn't doing anything any different than any other liberal. He just happens to be Black. So on the left you find those who are obvious in their hatred of the race, but to the right you find the conservatives actually trying to pretend that they have legitimate complaints other than just being racists. They are indeed being racist on top of everything else, and more or less just plain sore losers who are feeling withdrawal symptoms from the shock of the reality that there is a Black President of the United States of America who was voted in, and not "affirmative-action-ed " into office.
Link
Back to top Go down
Festus
Festus

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 8:28 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:

Maybe you saw Obama shake hands 3 times with Chavez because that's what the media chose to air. It's possible he shook hands repeatedly with many of the leaders there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Palin's State Attorney General pick   Palin's State Attorney General pick I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Palin's State Attorney General pick
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next