The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Good Books?

Go down 
+4
Doc Holiday
Festus
John Reid
Ja'far
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Inspired by gingaloca's thread, I thought I would ask if anyone had any good book recommendations. I just bought The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. If you haven't read Crime and Punishment by him I suggest you do so immediately.
Back to top Go down
John Reid
Homesteader
Homesteader
John Reid

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 1:47 pm

Helter Skelter - Vince Bugliosi
All the President's Men - Bob Woodward & Carl Bernstien
When Heaven and Earth Changed Places - Le Ly Hayslip
Back to top Go down
Festus
Festus

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 10:06 pm

I just joined a book club where I a book a month for $9.95. This month I'm looking forward to receiving The Blood of Lambs by Kamal Saleem

Synopsis:
Quote :
Kamal Saleem began training for jihad at the age when most American children are learning to read. At age 7, he completed his first assignment in Israel, and by his late teens, he was recruited by the PLO, trained as a terrorist and eventually sent to the United States on a mission that abruptly ended when a car crash—and some caring doctors—opened his eyes and changed the way he viewed the West. It is Saleem’s unique perspective as a former terrorist that makes The Blood of Lambs such a chilling and compelling read. A memoir of his indoctrination into jihad and his escape, it’s also a provocative and eye-opening insider’s exposé that sheds light on the hidden agendas, tactics and mind-set of radical Islamic terrorists.
Back to top Go down
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 11:33 pm

Festus wrote:
I just joined a book club where I a book a month for $9.95. This month I'm looking forward to receiving The Blood of Lambs by Kamal Saleem

That sounds really interesting. Let us know how it is, I may have to add it to the list.
Back to top Go down
Doc Holiday
Administrator
Doc Holiday

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 12:12 am

Festus wrote:
I just joined a book club where I a book a month for $9.95. This month I'm looking forward to receiving The Blood of Lambs by Kamal Saleem.
That does sound good!
Back to top Go down
Festus
Festus

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 4:46 pm

I got the book today in the mail, and am well into it. FASCINATING!
Back to top Go down
Festus
Festus

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm over halfway through this book. It's riveting, eye-opening and chilling. I believe it should be a MUST READ! I'll give more details later.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 9:01 pm

Festus wrote:
I'm over halfway through this book. It's riveting, eye-opening and chilling. I believe it should be a MUST READ! I'll give more details later.
Sounds like an interesting book.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 9:15 pm

I may need to put this on my summer reading list.
Back to top Go down
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 9:49 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:

Agreed. I think I'll be adding it. Couldn't find a cheap used copy on Amazon though, must be pretty new. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Festus
Festus

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 8:10 pm

Ja'far wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:

Agreed. I think I'll be adding it. Couldn't find a cheap used copy on Amazon though, must be pretty new. Crying or Very sad

It is. I got it for $9.95, though, in my book club. It's SO worth the full price though. I'm close to the end.

I will say this, I believe that EVERYONE should read this book. If you want a military-style perspective, it's there. If you want a religious perspective, it's there. I am more firmly committed to my theories of how terrorists are able to recruit so successfully, especially Radical Islamic terrorists, than ever before.

And now, I look at our culture differently as well. Not in a negative light, per se. But in how vulnerable our very strengths make us.
Back to top Go down
Festus
Festus

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 6:29 pm

I've finished the book, and I HIGHLY recommend it. The author grew up in a devout Muslim family. He chronicles his early religious studies that his mother taught in his early life. Several events/circumstances lead the author to joining jihad @ the age of 7. Before he'd left his teens, he was a leader in the Muslim Brotherhood. Eventually, he winds up in Saudi Arabia, where he secures money for the Brotherhood. Then, he comes to the US, where events completely turn his world upside down.

The book skips back and forth between the now and then. He also makes a lot of observations about America, and the fact that what we've been thinking we've been fighting in other countries has kept from within our borders is naive, and why.

He also makes some pointed comments about American foreign policy, and Americans perceptions of the Muslim faith.

I won't spoil the book. I really hope some of you do take the time to pick it up and read it. I'd love to see a discussion some time!
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 11:57 pm

Festus wrote:
I've finished the book, and I HIGHLY recommend it. The author grew up in a devout Muslim family. He chronicles his early religious studies that his mother taught in his early life. Several events/circumstances lead the author to joining jihad @ the age of 7. Before he'd left his teens, he was a leader in the Muslim Brotherhood. Eventually, he winds up in Saudi Arabia, where he secures money for the Brotherhood. Then, he comes to the US, where events completely turn his world upside down.

The book skips back and forth between the now and then. He also makes a lot of observations about America, and the fact that what we've been thinking we've been fighting in other countries has kept from within our borders is naive, and why.

He also makes some pointed comments about American foreign policy, and Americans perceptions of the Muslim faith.

I won't spoil the book. I really hope some of you do take the time to pick it up and read it. I'd love to see a discussion some time!

Sounds very interesting. I'll check half.com and see if it's on there, if not, I'll be heading to the library.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 10:05 pm

I just placed my order for the book. Gringa, you can always borrow mine when I am finished, if you can't find a copy.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 1:16 am

Annie Oakley wrote:
I just placed my order for the book. Gringa, you can always borrow mine when I am finished, if you can't find a copy.

Thanks! I might just do that! thumb
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Festus wrote:

I got the book yesterday. I agree with Festus. It IS riveting and eye opening. It's made me consider a few things in a new light.

Truly...more of you need to read this. It's so fast paced that you'll want to finish it (and try avoiding household and yard work, like me Wink) as soon as possible.

Who else is in for reading this? I think gringa gets my copy next, but I'd be willing to send it to someone else, if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
I got the book yesterday. I agree with Festus. It IS riveting and eye opening. It's made me consider a few things in a new light.

Truly...more of you need to read this. It's so fast paced that you'll want to finish it (and try avoiding household and yard work, like me Wink) as soon as possible.

Who else is in for reading this? I think gringa gets my copy next, but I'd be willing to send it to someone else, if you're interested.
I might, depends on if it's one sided or not. Let me know.
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Festus
Festus

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:

I might, depends on if it's one sided or not. Let me know.

This book isn't "sided" at all. It's written by a former terrorist, and is bluntly, brutally open. He doesn't so much take any sides politically, as he simply puts out there what he lived. It's not a political book. It's a biography, and an attempt to open the eyes of Americans...those on all sides.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:29 pm

As Festus said, it's not one sided...it's not US left or right-winged at all. It simply tells the story of a former terrorist. From how he became one (wow...wait to you see how that plays out) to what he does around the world and how he comes to the US. It also tells the story of what changes him (again....wow!) and somewhat about what his life is like now that he has revealed his past.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 9:54 am

Awesome, I was thinking it would be a political book. I'm very interested in reading it now!
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Good Books? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Books?   Good Books? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good Books?
Page 1 of 1