The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dick Cheney is doing exactly what the terrorists like!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

Dick Cheney is doing exactly what the terrorists like! Empty
PostSubject: Dick Cheney is doing exactly what the terrorists like!   Dick Cheney is doing exactly what the terrorists like! I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 12:51 pm

By David Edwards and Muriel Kane

Published: May 22, 2009
Updated 18 hours ago

The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart commented Thursday on President Obama and former Vice President Cheney’s “dueling speeches” — but he couldn’t resist starting off with a swipe at the media hysteria over the event.

“There’s one unifying thread that runs through every strata of our media — and that is, what gives them a collective erection,” Stewart noted. “What gives them a woody? Conflict, easily juxtaposed.”

Although many media commentators described the juxtaposed speeches as a “showdown” or a boxing match, conservative pundit William Kristol went even further, comparing them to “Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.” As if realizing belatedly what he had just said, Kristol quickly added, “I want to say that I was always on Darth Vader’s side.”

“Now you tell us!” yelled Stewart. “As one of the main intellectual forces behind the Iraq War, that’s kind of a weird thing to admit. You might have wanted to mention, ‘Oh, a quick caveat to my Plan on a New American Century — I’m on the Darth Vader side.’”

Stewart then moved on to the actual speeches, first comparing clips from Obama’s presentation to almost identical phrases in speeches about the war on terror by former President George W. Bush. “I love it when he does the Bush covers!” Stewart enthused. “Hey, hey, Mr. President, do ‘Hnh-hnh-hnh.’”

As the audience cheered, Stewart explained, “The trick is to use cowboy words in a lawyer’s voice.”

When it came to Cheney, however, Stewart honed in on his insistence that “in the fight against terrorism, there is no middle ground. … You cannot keep just some nuclear-armed terrorists out of the United States. You must keep every nuclear-armed terrorist out of the United States.”

“Oh, snap!” exclaimed Stewart. “A bold rebuttal to President Obama’s nuclear-armed terrorist quota system!”

“But in the end,” concluded Stewart, “Dick Cheney forget that he himself was doing the one thing terrorists love most.”

“When they see the American government caught up in arguments about interrogations or whether foreign terrorists have constitutional rights,” Cheney insisted, “they see weakness and opportunity.”

“But that’s what you’re doing!” cried a panic-stricken Stewart. “They’re seeing you do it right there. … Oh, God, they see weakness! Everybody duck!”

I tried to post the video but it kept saying the URL was invalid. Here is the link...

American Idealogues Video Link
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Wrangler
Wrangler

Dick Cheney is doing exactly what the terrorists like! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dick Cheney is doing exactly what the terrorists like!   Dick Cheney is doing exactly what the terrorists like! I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 2:42 pm

"The Daily Show/Jon Stewart" was all that I needed to read. Brilliant source there. Anything that he quotes/puts on air just has to be the gospel Laughing .................. Rolling Eyes Sleep
Back to top Go down

Dick Cheney is doing exactly what the terrorists like!
Page 1 of 1