The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage Empty
PostSubject: Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage   Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Quote :
Gov. Deval Patrick’s free wheels for welfare recipients program is revving up despite the stalled economy, as the keys to donated cars loaded with state-funded insurance, repairs and even AAA membership are handed out to get them to work.

But the program - fueled by a funding boost despite the state’s fiscal crash - allows those who end up back on welfare to keep the cars anyway.

“It’s mind-boggling. You’ve got people out there saying, ‘I just lost my job. Hey, can I get a free car, too?’ ” said House Minority Leader Brad Jones (R-North Reading).

Quote :
The program, which is provided by the State Department of Transitional Assistance, gives out about 65 cars a year, said DTA Commissioner Julia Kehoe.

The state pays for the car’s insurance, inspection, excise tax, title, registration, repairs and a AAA membership for one year at a total cost of roughly $6,000 per car.

Link

I'm sure I'm going to surprise some, but this isn't really a bad thing. It may be over the top with free AAA, but if we're talking about getting people to work and being able to get to work, I'm really not opposed to it. It's not like they're giving free cars to all welfare recipients.

Where do the rest of you stand on this?
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Audra Barkley
Homesteader
Homesteader
Audra Barkley

PostSubject: Re: Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage   Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 9:55 am

I think this is an excellent idea! I am surprised that you agree with it, I'm glad that you feel our poor deserve a helping hand. We need more programs to help the poor.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage   Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 10:16 am

Good idea on the surface but the system will be abused like every other welfare program.... Starting our fifth generation of welfare families.. I guess it will continue...
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage   Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 12:17 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
Good idea on the surface but the system will be abused like every other welfare program.... Starting our fifth generation of welfare families.. I guess it will continue...

Good intentions, but I'm with you Lucas. It will end up like anything else the government regulates or tries to operate. It will be grossly abused. Lazy deadbeats & drug abusers will end up with free cars to haul their stolen goods to the drug dealers.

Maybe more (undeserving) welfare recipients will be able to get to the store and buy more lottery tickets though. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage   Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Free Cars for Poor Fuel Road Rage
Page 1 of 1