The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Where's the Outcry?

Go down 
+3
gringaloca
Mr. Lew Morris
Barry Husein
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 6:24 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
So you're saying that maybe I'm lying? Evil or Very Mad

Certainly not. I am saying that you don't have all of the facts of the issues. Honestly, it would be hard to have facts to prove one way or the other unless you are the person in charge of the hiring. Between resumes and interviews there are a whole gamet of judgment calls on who is a better candidate. If you KNOW that you chose an overall lesser qualified minority over a more qualified non-minority, then that is something else.
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 9:48 pm

Trust me, it happens regularly.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 9:49 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:

You'll have to forgive the scientist in me for needing proof.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 10:20 am

SKINNYPIG wrote:

My husband is a corporate engineer and has been in his field for over twenty years. He's worked his way up through the ranks. He's been in charge of the hiring and firing for a while now. I asked him about this and he said that his experience has actually been the opposite of what you described. He said to look around you and you'll find the majority of faces are white males. And I know personally that my friend from Venezuela has a harder time finding work because his name sounds "Mexican". He was passed over by a less experienced, less educated white guy because they didn't want to deal with a guy with a "funny" name (even though he has a BS in Mechanical Engineering). Of course, they won't say that was the reason but my cousin works for them and said it was the reason. I'm sorry but I don't feel a bit sorry for white males and the comment about them being the most discriminated against on the planet is far fetched. Do you have any studies to back any of that up? I read that statement to my black friend on the phone and he almost cried from laughing so hard. My guess is that no one has told you to get in the back of the bus or kicked you out of their restaurant for being white. Rolling Eyes You think it's hard being white, try being black in the inner city for a few months.
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 4:17 pm

gringaloca wrote:
SKINNYPIG wrote:

My husband is a corporate engineer and has been in his field for over twenty years. He's worked his way up through the ranks. He's been in charge of the hiring and firing for a while now. I asked him about this and he said that his experience has actually been the opposite of what you described. He said to look around you and you'll find the majority of faces are white males. And I know personally that my friend from Venezuela has a harder time finding work because his name sounds "Mexican". He was passed over by a less experienced, less educated white guy because they didn't want to deal with a guy with a "funny" name (even though he has a BS in Mechanical Engineering). Of course, they won't say that was the reason but my cousin works for them and said it was the reason. I'm sorry but I don't feel a bit sorry for white males and the comment about them being the most discriminated against on the planet is far fetched. Do you have any studies to back any of that up? I read that statement to my black friend on the phone and he almost cried from laughing so hard. My guess is that no one has told you to get in the back of the bus or kicked you out of their restaurant for being white. Rolling Eyes You think it's hard being white, try being black in the inner city for a few months.

My "studies" are my own experiences. It's obvious that whatever your husband and black friend experienced is right and my experiences are false and hold no weight. I see no need to discuss the issue with you since you, your husband, your friend from Venezuela and your black friend represent every facet of our working force.

Also. I doubt your black friend has been asked to get in the back of the bus or been kicked out of a restaurant for being black. GIVE ME A BREAK! Don't stay lost in the sixties, they're gone.

One more thing. If IIIIIIIIIIII were a black man in the inner city, I'd get a job or go find one somewhere else.

And one more thing. Have you or your husband ever heard of affirmative action?
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 5:50 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
My "studies" are my own experiences. It's obvious that whatever your husband and black friend experienced is right and my experiences are false and hold no weight. I see no need to discuss the issue with you since you, your husband, your friend from Venezuela and your black friend represent every facet of our working force.

Also. I doubt your black friend has been asked to get in the back of the bus or been kicked out of a restaurant for being black. GIVE ME A BREAK! Don't stay lost in the sixties, they're gone.

One more thing. If IIIIIIIIIIII were a black man in the inner city, I'd get a job or go find one somewhere else.

And one more thing. Have you or your husband ever heard of affirmative action?

Wow. Getting a little huffy there...

I didn't say what you said was wrong, I am just saying that what you have said you have experienced isn't happening everywhere in every single work environment. And actually my "black friend" was a teen in the 60's so he remembers what it was like and is reminded quite often by racists who still call him names. It's hard to leave things behind when racists still exist and remind you often.

Regarding your comment about inner city poor blacks. Wow, you make it sound so easy. Your response was rather offensive and shallow. Do you think they want to be living in those neighborhoods with no jobs to support their families? That was rude.

And yes, my husband and I are perfectly aware of affirmative action. The definition is "The impetus towards affirmative action is twofold: to maximize the benefits of diversity in all levels of society, and to redress perceived disadvantages due to overt, institutional, or involuntary discrimination."
It's about equality and wasn't formed to enslave or discriminate the white male.

My main point being... what you described isn't a universal problem in the US. I'm sorry if you feel that you are being discriminated as a white man in your area. If it's as bad as you say have you considered taking the issue further? Maybe you should write to your representatives and tell them about this oppression? Maybe they can help start some new laws to protect the white males in this country?
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:01 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Wow. Getting a little huffy there...

I didn't say what you said was wrong, I am just saying that what you have said you have experienced isn't happening everywhere in every single work environment. And actually my "black friend" was a teen in the 60's so he remembers what it was like and is reminded quite often by racists who still call him names. It's hard to leave things behind when racists still exist and remind you often.

Regarding your comment about inner city poor blacks. Wow, you make it sound so easy. Your response was rather offensive and shallow. Do you think they want to be living in those neighborhoods with no jobs to support their families? That was rude.

And yes, my husband and I are perfectly aware of affirmative action. The definition is "The impetus towards affirmative action is twofold: to maximize the benefits of diversity in all levels of society, and to redress perceived disadvantages due to overt, institutional, or involuntary discrimination."
It's about equality and wasn't formed to enslave or discriminate the white male.

My main point being... what you described isn't a universal problem in the US. I'm sorry if you feel that you are being discriminated as a white man in your area. If it's as bad as you say have you considered taking the issue further? Maybe you should write to your representatives and tell them about this oppression? Maybe they can help start some new laws to protect the white males in this country?

I have never been discriminated against. YOU misunderstood. I'm in my twentieth year and doing great! A couple more years and I'll comfortably retire. Was it easy? No.

If something happened today that made you poor and homeless, how long would it take you to find a job? My guess is not long. Would it be easy? Absolutely not. What's easy?

I meant nothing to be rude. To insinuate it's too hard or unlikely for a black man to work his way out of the inner city is what I view as rude. I, for one, think they are better than that.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:12 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
I have never been discriminated against. YOU misunderstood. I'm in my twentieth year and doing great! A couple more years and I'll comfortably retire. Was it easy? No.

If something happened today that made you poor and homeless, how long would it take you to find a job? My guess is not long. Would it be easy? Absolutely not. What's easy?

I meant nothing to be rude. To insinuate it's too hard or unlikely for a black man to work his way out of the inner city is what I view as rude. I, for one, think they are better than that.

But you insinuated in your previous post that blacks were stuck in the inner city because they didn't want to work. "If IIIIIIIIIIII were a black man in the inner city, I'd get a job or go find one somewhere else." Like they aren't already doing that?? It's not easy for anyone while our economy struggling but I know that it would be a heck of a lot easier for me to find a job than it would be a black woman living on the west side of Louisville. I've had better opportunities, schools, etc...
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 6:33 pm

gringaloca wrote:
But you insinuated in your previous post that blacks were stuck in the inner city because they didn't want to work. "If IIIIIIIIIIII were a black man in the inner city, I'd get a job or go find one somewhere else." Like they aren't already doing that?? It's not easy for anyone while our economy struggling but I know that it would be a heck of a lot easier for me to find a job than it would be a black woman living on the west side of Louisville. I've had better opportunities, schools, etc...

Let's be honest here gringaloca. Remember, I love you. The bolded is true in many of the cases. The same goes for white men and women.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 11:30 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
Let's be honest here gringaloca. Remember, I love you. The bolded is true in many of the cases. The same goes for white men and women.

I'm sorry. I don't agree and until we walk a mile in their shoes, we have no way of actually knowing, do we?
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 9:49 pm

gringaloca wrote:
I'm sorry. I don't agree and until we walk a mile in their shoes, we have no way of actually knowing, do we?

You have no idea of the shoes I've walked in ma'am.

Even though I know there's a good chance you will disregard it, here's another personal experience of mine. I live in one of the poorest counties in the US. There are thousands that receive government assistance and you and I would consider them to be poor. I grew up in this county and I know many of them personally...You couldn't get a switch and whip them into filling out a job application...It ain't going to happen.

I own rental property and many of my tenants have been from this group. I can't get them to wash a window for their part of a new air conditioner. I believe MANY (not all) of the people that are suppressed are self suppressed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Outcry?   Where's the Outcry? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where's the Outcry?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Outpost Saloon :: The Outhouse :: Politics-
Jump to: