The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

War on Christmas

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

War on Christmas Empty
PostSubject: War on Christmas   War on Christmas I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Quote :
“Banning Christmas from the Capitol Christmas tree is just absurd. Christian students shouldn’t be discriminated against for expressing their religious beliefs,” said ADF Litigation Staff Counsel Jonathan Scruggs. “The First Amendment does not allow government officials to exclude schoolchildren’s ornaments for the capitol’s Christmas tree merely because they communicate a religious viewpoint.”

On behalf of a mother whose son strongly desires to submit three ornaments for the tree, ADF attorneys sent a letter to state and federal officials demanding that they abandon the prohibition of religious viewpoints so that the child may participate in the unique opportunity. One of the ornaments will read “Merry Christmas,” another will say “Happy Birthday, Jesus,” and the third will portray a manger scene with the baby Jesus. Each of these ornaments will also honor Arizona, using as a theme the state’s history, geography, or motto, “Ditat Deus,” which means “God Enriches.” ADF attorneys indicate in the letter that they will take legal action if officials do not comply by October 4, the day before the deadline to submit ornaments for consideration.

“It is well established that expression of religious beliefs is protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution,” the letter reads. “Religious expression is speech and is entitled to the same level of protection as other kinds of speech... Even expression that comes through symbols, such as ornaments…”

Link about the absurdity
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

War on Christmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: War on Christmas   War on Christmas I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 12:34 am

Mongo wrote:
Quote :
“Banning Christmas from the Capitol Christmas tree is just absurd. Christian students shouldn’t be discriminated against for expressing their religious beliefs,” said ADF Litigation Staff Counsel Jonathan Scruggs. “The First Amendment does not allow government officials to exclude schoolchildren’s ornaments for the capitol’s Christmas tree merely because they communicate a religious viewpoint.”

On behalf of a mother whose son strongly desires to submit three ornaments for the tree, ADF attorneys sent a letter to state and federal officials demanding that they abandon the prohibition of religious viewpoints so that the child may participate in the unique opportunity. One of the ornaments will read “Merry Christmas,” another will say “Happy Birthday, Jesus,” and the third will portray a manger scene with the baby Jesus. Each of these ornaments will also honor Arizona, using as a theme the state’s history, geography, or motto, “Ditat Deus,” which means “God Enriches.” ADF attorneys indicate in the letter that they will take legal action if officials do not comply by October 4, the day before the deadline to submit ornaments for consideration.

“It is well established that expression of religious beliefs is protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution,” the letter reads. “Religious expression is speech and is entitled to the same level of protection as other kinds of speech... Even expression that comes through symbols, such as ornaments…”

Link about the absurdity

I think the absurdity is the whole idea of the "war on Christmas". I'm totally over it and the ADF. I believe in a separation of church and state and so did the founders of this country. And anything the ADF is involved in, I question. I'd like to hear the whole story, if this one is even true at all.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

War on Christmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: War on Christmas   War on Christmas I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 10:18 am

Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

War on Christmas Empty
PostSubject: Re: War on Christmas   War on Christmas I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
Sad but true... http://www.examiner.com/x-3747-Louisville-City-Hall-Examiner~y2009m10d3-Democrats-ban-religious-ornaments-from-Capitol-Christmas-tree

What I find funny about this is that there is a Christmas tree to begin with. Why do certain Christians get in such a tizzy about this when a Christmas tree is a pagan symbol to begin with? There wasn't a Christmas tree next to baby Jesus in the manger.
Look, just because you have the right to free speech doesn't mean anyone has to listen to what you're saying. Similarly, just because you have the right to paint a cross on a glass ball doesn't mean that anyone is obligated to put it on the tree.
And if we are going to start arguing about things like this, it will open the door to so many other problems. Here's a list of all the holidays in December. Shall they all have an ornament on the tree?

DECEMBER 2009
Saint Nicholas Day - Christian
Bodhi Day (Rohatsu) ** - Buddhism
Immaculate Conception - Catholic Christian
Feast day - Our Lady of Guadalupe - Catholic Christian
Advent Fast begins - Orthodox Christian
12-19
Hanukkah * - Jewish
16-Dec 25
Posadas Navidenas - Christian
Hijra - New Year * ** - Islam
21 Solstice