The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ACORN = Hypocrites

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

ACORN = Hypocrites Empty
PostSubject: ACORN = Hypocrites   ACORN = Hypocrites I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Well, at least acording to this.

Quote :
While much criticism is directed at ACORN, though, the problem is more complex. A group intended to better our communities is a thing that should be commended. Unfortunately, a small cadre of powerful but corrupt ACORN executives have warped the organization's mission into a high-powered, big-money machine that treats its well-intentioned, idealistic staff horribly.

Consider ACORN's record for its staff: The group has sought minimum wage increases (yay!) but sued to get out of paying its own staff the minimum wage (boo!). ACORN campaigns for seven sick days a year but only gives its staff five.

ACORN short-changed employees, while the founder's brother embezzled nearly a half-million dollars. ACORN has founded unions but busts unions when its own employees try to organize. And every time the organization's machine creates voter fraud allegations, the group throws its poorly trained temporary workers under the bus.
Hmmm.... Suspect
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

ACORN = Hypocrites Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACORN = Hypocrites   ACORN = Hypocrites I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Well, at least acording to this.

Quote :
While much criticism is directed at ACORN, though, the problem is more complex. A group intended to better our communities is a thing that should be commended. Unfortunately, a small cadre of powerful but corrupt ACORN executives have warped the organization's mission into a high-powered, big-money machine that treats its well-intentioned, idealistic staff horribly.

Consider ACORN's record for its staff: The group has sought minimum wage increases (yay!) but sued to get out of paying its own staff the minimum wage (boo!). ACORN campaigns for seven sick days a year but only gives its staff five.

ACORN short-changed employees, while the founder's brother embezzled nearly a half-million dollars. ACORN has founded unions but busts unions when its own employees try to organize. And every time the organization's machine creates voter fraud allegations, the group throws its poorly trained temporary workers under the bus.
Hmmm.... Suspect

The money was paid back and is small taters compared to Enron, Halliburton, WorldCom, etc. who have ripped of BILLIONS of comsumers/shareholders money. Same old, same old. Capitalist greed out of control.

Quote :
By Peter Dreier and John Atlas

For 38 years, ACORN, the nation's most successful community organizing group, has been making headlines by mobilizing low-income Americans to fight for social justice, challenging powerful banks, corporations, and government officials around such issues as wages for the working poor, predatory lending and foreclosures, welfare reform, public education, affordable housing, and voting rights. But the story about ACORN in last Wednesday's New York Times is one headline that the group was hoping to avoid.

The right-wing blogosphere is abuzz over the article, which reported that an ACORN staff-person embezzled almost $1 million from the organization's coffers eight years ago. (The aggregate budgets of ACORN and its affiliate organizations back then totaled about $41.5 million). ACORN immediately established new internal controls to put the organization's financial house in order. But ACORN's founder and chief organizer, Wade Rathke, covered up the incident in order to protect the wrongdoer, his brother Dale, who at the time was the group's chief financial officer. Even worse, he kept his brother on the payroll until June 2, although he was long before removed from having any responsibility for the group's finances.

Only a handful of top ACORN staff knew about the scandal, and Rathke persuaded them to keep it quiet in order, he argued, to protect the group's reputation. The staff group obtained an enforceable restitution agreement so that the funds would be returned to ACORN. With the help of friends and family, his brother has now repaid all the stolen funds. But now that the scandal has surfaced, Wade Rathke has resigned, and his brother has been fired.

In the world of scandals, ACORN's missteps don't even register on the radar compared with the swindles perpetrated by top executives at Halliburton, Enron, WorldCom, Countrywide, and other major corporations who ripped off the government, stockholders, and consumers of billions of dollars. But progressive groups have to be squeaky clean. They must live by a higher standard, in part because they are constantly under scrutiny by powerful business and government officials and in part, because they depend on the good will of funders (who typically get federal tax breaks for their donations) and low-income members (who sacrifice to pay ACORN dues).

Link

I guess I'm the official devil's advocate on here. I guess it suits me since conservatives think us libs are all devils anyway. mischief Laughing
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

ACORN = Hypocrites Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACORN = Hypocrites   ACORN = Hypocrites I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 4:40 pm

gringaloca wrote:
The money was paid back and is small taters compared to Enron, Halliburton, WorldCom, etc. who have ripped of BILLIONS of comsumers/shareholders money. Same old, same old. Capitalist greed out of control.

Quote :
By Peter Dreier and John Atlas

For 38 years, ACORN, the nation's most successful community organizing group, has been making headlines by mobilizing low-income Americans to fight for social justice, challenging powerful banks, corporations, and government officials around such issues as wages for the working poor, predatory lending and foreclosures, welfare reform, public education, affordable housing, and voting rights. But the story about ACORN in last Wednesday's New York Times is one headline that the group was hoping to avoid.

The right-wing blogosphere is abuzz over the article, which reported that an ACORN staff-person embezzled almost $1 million from the organization's coffers eight years ago. (The aggregate budgets of ACORN and its affiliate organizations back then totaled about $41.5 million). ACORN immediately established new internal controls to put the organization's financial house in order. But ACORN's founder and chief organizer, Wade Rathke, covered up the incident in order to protect the wrongdoer, his brother Dale, who at the time was the group's chief financial officer. Even worse, he kept his brother on the payroll until June 2, although he was long before removed from having any responsibility for the group's finances.

Only a handful of top ACORN staff knew about the scandal, and Rathke persuaded them to keep it quiet in order, he argued, to protect the group's reputation. The staff group obtained an enforceable restitution agreement so that the funds would be returned to ACORN. With the help of friends and family, his brother has now repaid all the stolen funds. But now that the scandal has surfaced, Wade Rathke has resigned, and his brother has been fired.

In the world of scandals, ACORN's missteps don't even register on the radar compared with the swindles perpetrated by top executives at Halliburton, Enron, WorldCom, Countrywide, and other major corporations who ripped off the government, stockholders, and consumers of billions of dollars. But progressive groups have to be squeaky clean. They must live by a higher standard, in part because they are constantly under scrutiny by powerful business and government officials and in part, because they depend on the good will of funders (who typically get federal tax breaks for their donations) and low-income members (who sacrifice to pay ACORN dues).

Link

I guess I'm the official devil's advocate on here. I guess it suits me since conservatives think us libs are all devils anyway. mischief Laughing
Gringa, I have a really hard time believing anything I read from the Huffington Post. Anything from a credible source? I'm not saying they aren't right, I just doubt anything that comes from that source. I realize that the Washington Examiner is a conservative newspaper, but the Huffington Post is without a doubt the worst, one sided excuse for news I've ever seen.

Enron, Halliburton, WorldCom etc, are more trustworthy than ACORN or the Huffington Post IMO. Grin Laughing Stir The Pot
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

ACORN = Hypocrites Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACORN = Hypocrites   ACORN = Hypocrites I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Quote :
Enron, Halliburton, WorldCom etc, are more trustworthy than ACORN or the Huffington Post IMO.

Doubt you would be thinking that if you just lost your entire retirement to them. And I'll find another source tomorrow. I'm going to bed.
Back to top Go down
Audra Barkley
Homesteader
Homesteader
Audra Barkley

ACORN = Hypocrites Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACORN = Hypocrites   ACORN = Hypocrites I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 1:25 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Doubt you would be thinking that if you just lost your entire retirement to them. And I'll find another source tomorrow. I'm going to bed.
Amen to that!
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler
Wyatt Earp

ACORN = Hypocrites Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACORN = Hypocrites   ACORN = Hypocrites I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:14 pm

gringaloca wrote:

When did Halliburton employees lose their retirement? It is my assumption that Halliburton is still up an running.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

ACORN = Hypocrites Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACORN = Hypocrites   ACORN = Hypocrites I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

When did Halliburton employees lose their retirement? It is my assumption that Halliburton is still up an running.

In that statement I was mainly referring to Enron but they are all the epitome of corporate greed. Halliburton rips you and I off every day with their military contracts...charging the taxpayer $20 for a cup of coffee is just the tip of the iceberg. Enron ruined peoples entire lives, stealing their entire life savings leaving them to depend on social security just to survive. And WorldCom ripped off their employee stock program. These huge greedy, evil corporations need to be monitored and regulated. They chew up their their employees and spit them out. That is not what American capitalism is supposed to be. It's plain evil and out of control. mischief
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Wrangler
Wrangler

ACORN = Hypocrites Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACORN = Hypocrites   ACORN = Hypocrites I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:

When did Halliburton employees lose their retirement?
There is simple answer to that..................they didn't. No Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ACORN = Hypocrites Empty
PostSubject: Re: ACORN = Hypocrites   ACORN = Hypocrites I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ACORN = Hypocrites
Page 1 of 1