The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Uproar in Alameda

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

Uproar in Alameda Empty
PostSubject: Uproar in Alameda   Uproar in Alameda I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Alameda school officials had high hopes the new elementary school curriculum would teach respect and help reduce bullying related to gay and lesbian individuals and families.

So they created lesson plans that talked about teasing and explained the different definitions of family - even throwing in the true story of Roy and Silo, two same-sex penguins in New York.

That's when the firestorm hit.

Parents opposed to the lesson plans have joined ranks with conservative family-rights groups to kill the idea before it hits classrooms. They argue that parents, not the school, should be imparting those lessons - even the one about the penguins.

The controversy revolves around six 45-minute lessons, one each year from kindergarten through fifth grade, with year one addressing the harm in teasing and the fifth-grade topic focusing on sexual-orientation stereotypes.

Link

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

Uproar in Alameda Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uproar in Alameda   Uproar in Alameda I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:55 pm

I guess if they want their kids to be taught with a religious slant, they should consider Christian school. Gays are a part of the regular public. If you are going to attend a public school you have to attend school with straights, gays, people of color, etc. That's just life. What are they going to do when they go out into the real world and have to work with gays, etc. Run away or quit? I have no problem with their beliefs but school isn't church. I teach my children at home what is right and wrong when it comes to our religious beliefs. I don't put that on the teachers. It's not their jobs.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

Uproar in Alameda Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uproar in Alameda   Uproar in Alameda I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 4:26 pm

gringaloca wrote:
I guess if they want their kids to be taught with a religious slant, they should consider Christian school. Gays are a part of the regular public. If you are going to attend a public school you have to attend school with straights, gays, people of color, etc. That's just life. What are they going to do when they go out into the real world and have to work with gays, etc. Run away or quit? I have no problem with their beliefs but school isn't church. I teach my children at home what is right and wrong when it comes to our religious beliefs. I don't put that on the teachers. It's not their jobs.
I think that's what these parents are saying, only from their perspective.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

Uproar in Alameda Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uproar in Alameda   Uproar in Alameda I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
I think that's what these parents are saying, only from their perspective.

The reason they wanted it taught was to stop bullying and other bad behavior by students who apparently hate gays and people who aren't just like them. They aren't just teaching gay lifestyles, they are teaching different definitions of family.
Quote :
So they created lesson plans that talked about teasing and explained the different definitions of family
Apparently these kids don't know that there are other lifestyles out there. In the real world these kids will grow up to be adults who hate gays and if they engage in that sort of behavior could be charged with hate crimes. They don't have to like gays and they can believe they are all going to burn in hell. That's their choice. The school is just trying to protect ALL of their kids. If the children are raised up right and taught at home to respect peoples rights then the school wouldn't have to get involved to begin with but we don't live in a perfect world. If they don't respond to that bullying and a gay child gets hurt or emotionally damaged the parents could sue the school system. I don't think they should be teaching children to be gay or straight or anything else. They just need to teach people to respect each others privacy and differences.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Uproar in Alameda Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uproar in Alameda   Uproar in Alameda I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:11 pm

gringaloca wrote:
The reason they wanted it taught was to stop bullying and other bad behavior by students who apparently hate gays and people who aren't just like them. They aren't just teaching gay lifestyles, they are teaching different definitions of family.
Quote :
So they created lesson plans that talked about teasing and explained the different definitions of family
Apparently these kids don't know that there are other lifestyles out there. In the real world these kids will grow up to be adults who hate gays and if they engage in that sort of behavior could be charged with hate crimes. They don't have to like gays and they can believe they are all going to burn in hell. That's their choice. The school is just trying to protect ALL of their kids. If the children are raised up right and taught at home to respect peoples rights then the school wouldn't have to get involved to begin with but we don't live in a perfect world. If they don't respond to that bullying and a gay child gets hurt or emotionally damaged the parents could sue the school system. I don't think they should be teaching children to be gay or straight or anything else. They just need to teach people to respect each others privacy and differences.
To be honest with you, I've never known of a school that didn't teach kids to be respectful of others, private or public.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

Uproar in Alameda Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uproar in Alameda   Uproar in Alameda I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 10:17 am

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
Quote :
To be honest with you, I've never known of a school that didn't teach kids to be respectful of others, private or public.

Well, sounds like this school is having a real problem with it or they wouldn't have to address it.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Uproar in Alameda Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uproar in Alameda   Uproar in Alameda I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 10:39 am

gringaloca wrote:
Well, sounds like this school is having a real problem with it or they wouldn't have to address it.
Perhaps, that or it's just some feel good curriculum they wanted to add. It is located in the heart of San Francisco Bay. Cool Shades
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Uproar in Alameda Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uproar in Alameda   Uproar in Alameda I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Uproar in Alameda
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Outpost Saloon :: The Outhouse :: Politics-
Jump to: