The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sounds Like Indoctrination

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

Sounds Like Indoctrination Empty
PostSubject: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 10:24 am

‘No Child Left Inside Act' Would Spend $500M Teaching 'Environmental Literacy' Starting in Kindergarten

Quote :
“We are gathered to unveil the No Child Left Inside Act of 2009, which will support environmental education in our nation’s schools,” Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), a lead sponsor of the bill, said Thursday at Upper Russell Senate Park (near the U.S. Capitol). “These young people will be the environmental stewards and leaders of tomorrow, and we have to prepare them today – and that’s the whole point of this legislation.”

“The Obama administration and Congress are moving toward having the power of a national school board,” Dan Lips, a senior policy analyst with the conservative Heritage Foundation, told CNSNews.com.

Lips said the legislation amounted to “the politicization of what’s taught in American classrooms.

She told CNSNews.com that the curriculum taught in schools would be “science-based, fair and balanced, and [from] multiple perspectives.”

“It’s not intended to promote any one way of viewing a particular issue but to educate children about thinking clearly about issues and understanding multiple perspectives and the complex nature of solving environmental challenges,” Rhoads said.

Why is it that I have to doubt that this will be "fair and balanced, and taught from multiple perspectives"? How do you police such a policy?

Quote :
The legislation not only puts federal mandates on school curricula, it also ensures that the curricula conform to a specific worldview of what environmental literacy means.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 10:49 am

Sounds like they want to raise a WHOLE GENERATION of tree hugging atheist..
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 11:55 am

Lucas McCain wrote:

Where do you get "atheist"?

Just because someone cares about the impact they make on the environment makes the fall under the negatively connotated "tree hugger" category?
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Do you think this could be a troublesome bill, Annie?
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 12:07 pm

The article doesn't give me enough detail to make a determination. I would like to take a look at the curriculum that the bill promotes.

I do know this. We do need to teach certain topics from mulitple perspectives. We also need to give the facts and promote kids into determining their own conclusions.

I also know that to think that we do not impact the environment with our activities is absurd. Like anything else, there will be consequences to our changes. We need to be prepared to deal with these consequences and to make our impact as minimal as possible. We are part of a very large ecosystem. Members of a system rely on other parts of that system for survival. In the very least, we need to be alert for changes in our ecosystem and what affect we have on it.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 5:58 pm

I'm sure they will hammer on the big bang and humans crawled out of the ocean etc...
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:

I'm a tree-hugger and I'm not an atheist. And even if I were, that doesn't make me some evil person. You have some real prejudice going on. God put us on this earth to protect his creation, not destroy it. Show a little respect for God's creation instead of acting like we're supposed to drive it until the wheels fly off. It's irresponsible and a sin to have so little respect for Gods creation. You sound like one of those people who swerves to hit animals on the highway just for some jollies. I think it's sad that "Christian" republicans feel that they don't have to give a rip about the environment. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
I'm sure they will hammer on the big bang and humans crawled out of the ocean etc...

How do you know that wasn't all Gods doing? Our tiny brains have no way of understanding what God did to get us here and how many millions of years it took. It says in the Bible that God created it all in six days and rested on the seventh. Who is to say what a day is in Gods time? We have no way of knowing.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:38 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:

Yeah, let's ignore all that evidence. doh
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:20 pm

There are better ways to teach our youth about the environment than the stale "man is evil" scare tactics... I grew up on the outdoors and raised my kids the same way.. We all are in awe and have true respect for God's creation and strive for its protection.. Outdoors men, hunters and fisherman have done far more for the protection of our eco-system than any tree hugging PETA type group... Man has made a negative impact but the U.S. has done more to correct the problem than any major country.. I too would like to see their purposed fair and balanced curriculum before I decided on the merits of the bill.. As far as the big bang goes I guess I could live with the scientific theory of it as long as they offer the view that God lit the fuse...
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
There are better ways to teach our youth about the environment than the stale "man is evil" scare tactics... I grew up on the outdoors and raised my kids the same way.. We all are in awe and have true respect for God's creation and strive for its protection.. Outdoors men, hunters and fisherman have done far more for the protection of our eco-system than any tree hugging PETA type group... Man has made a negative impact but the U.S. has done more to correct the problem than any major country.. I too would like to see their purposed fair and balanced curriculum before I decided on the merits of the bill.. As far as the big bang goes I guess I could live with the scientific theory of it as long as they offer the view that God lit the fuse...

On the bolded, I certainly do believe that God lit the fuse.

See, we can find common ground! Beer Toast
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 8:41 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:

I'm a tree-hugger and I'm not an atheist. And even if I were, that doesn't make me some evil person. You have some real prejudice going on. God put us on this earth to protect his creation, not destroy it. Show a little respect for God's creation instead of acting like we're supposed to drive it until the wheels fly off. It's irresponsible and a sin to have so little respect for Gods creation. You sound like one of those people who swerves to hit animals on the highway just for some jollies. I think it's sad that "Christian" republicans feel that they don't have to give a rip about the environment. Seems pretty hypocritical to me.
And judging people seems hypocritical also... Debate me.. Don't judge me... thumb
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 12:04 am

Lucas McCain wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:

And judging people seems hypocritical also... Debate me.. Don't judge me... thumb

You've had no problem judging people left and right.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 6:11 am

Something that always seems to get lost in conversation about nature is that humans are part of nature. Some groups act as if we aren't. Weird/Odd
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 6:51 am

gringaloca wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:

You've had no problem judging people left and right.
I don't judge people left and right.., Just those on the left.. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sounds Like Indoctrination   Sounds Like Indoctrination I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sounds Like Indoctrination
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Outpost Saloon :: The Outhouse :: Politics-
Jump to: