The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Student to be suspended for attending prom

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

Student to be suspended for attending prom Empty
PostSubject: Student to be suspended for attending prom   Student to be suspended for attending prom I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 9:21 pm

FINDLAY, Ohio – A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.

Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.

Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

The teen, who is scheduled to receive his diploma May 24, would be suspended from classes and receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments, England said. Frost also would not be permitted to attend graduation but would get a diploma once he completes final exams. If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.

"He deserves to wear that cap and gown," Johnson said.
The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds.

Read More Here

Last edited by Annie Oakley on Sun May 10, 2009 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed title)
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Student to be suspended for attending prom   Student to be suspended for attending prom I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 9:27 pm

My biggest problem with this is that this young man and his family agreed to the rules at the beginning of the school year. THAT is the time to voice dipleasure and if the school doesn't change it's policy, he can attend school elsewhere. I get very irate when people know the rules ahead of time, choose to break them and THEN cry foul when they are penalized.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Student to be suspended for attending prom   Student to be suspended for attending prom I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 11:40 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
My biggest problem with this is that this young man and his family agreed to the rules at the beginning of the school year. THAT is the time to voice dipleasure and if the school doesn't change it's policy, he can attend school elsewhere. I get very irate when people know the rules ahead of time, choose to break them and THEN cry foul when they are penalized.

I'd like to see how the rules are worded. I wonder if it says that they can't go to dances outside of the school or it just said that they don't believe in having dances. If it was the latter I would say that what he does off the school property is his business. And I don't know how in the world they could kick the kid out of school for having sex or drinking. How on earth would they even know? Going on hearsay? That just sounds weird. I do wonder why the parents put the kid in that sort of school when it's obvious that it was a VERY religious/strict place.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Student to be suspended for attending prom   Student to be suspended for attending prom I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 8:33 am

I would like to see the wording, too. I guess as far as sex or drinking, it's like anything else. If it became common knowledge, the kids could get in trouble. Most schools have a "no alcohol, no drugs" policy for athletes, but unless they do drug testing, they can only police this if it becomes common knowledge or the violation occurs at school.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Student to be suspended for attending prom   Student to be suspended for attending prom I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 11:05 am

Absolutely absurd! Weird/Odd
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Student to be suspended for attending prom   Student to be suspended for attending prom I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 11:36 am

Mongo wrote:

I agree that the rule is absurd. That's why you don't send your child to that school.

Once you agree to the rules, it's absurd to think that you are not bound by them.
Back to top Go down
Mongo
Wrangler
Wrangler
Mongo

PostSubject: Re: Student to be suspended for attending prom   Student to be suspended for attending prom I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:
Mongo wrote:

I agree that the rule is absurd. That's why you don't send your child to that school.

Once you agree to the rules, it's absurd to think that you are not bound by them.
A very valid point, Annie. thumb
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler
Wyatt Earp

PostSubject: Re: Student to be suspended for attending prom   Student to be suspended for attending prom I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Mongo wrote:
Annie Oakley wrote:
Mongo wrote:

A very valid point, Annie. thumb

I agree. There is a school in Louisville (not Baptist) that I hear has some pretty strict rules (not near as strict as this school) but they give you the student handbook at registration and before you can send your child, you have the sign it stating that you have read and understand the hand book.

I won't mention the school since this is only what I have heard and have not verified it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Student to be suspended for attending prom   Student to be suspended for attending prom I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Student to be suspended for attending prom
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Outpost Saloon :: The Outhouse :: Politics-
Jump to: