The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Manchester Mark 1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
be_map1512
Wrangler
Wrangler

Manchester Mark 1 Empty
PostSubject: Manchester Mark 1   Manchester Mark 1 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 1:38 am

The Manchester Mark 1 was one of the earliest stored-program computers, developed at the Victoria University of Manchester from the Small-Scale Experimental Machine. Work began in August 1948, and the first version was operational by April 1949; a program written to search for Mersenne primes ran error-free for nine hours on the night of 16/17 June 1949. The machine's successful operation was widely reported in the British press, which used the phrase "electronic brain" in describing it to their readers. The Mark 1 was initially developed to provide a computing resource within the university, to allow researchers to gain experience in the practical use of computers, but it very quickly also became a prototype on which the design of Ferranti's commercial version could be based. Development ceased at the end of 1949, and the machine was scrapped towards the end of 1950, replaced in February 1951 by a Ferranti Mark 1, the world's first commercially available general-purpose computer.

Tile Flooring in Louisville KY
Buy Website Traffic
Back to top Go down
be_map1512
Wrangler
Wrangler

Manchester Mark 1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manchester Mark 1   Manchester Mark 1 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:21 pm

there're no one read my mess:(
Back to top Go down

Manchester Mark 1
Page 1 of 1