The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Remarks from a mod about the political forum

Go down 
+2
Judge Roy Bean
Annie Oakley
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

Remarks from a mod about the political forum Empty
PostSubject: Remarks from a mod about the political forum   Remarks from a mod about the political forum I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We need to ask ourselves, "What is the purpose of political discussion?" As it relates to this forum, Judge Roy Bean, myself, and the other mods originally intended it to be a place to discuss viewpoints and gain knowledge. It is not meant to be partisan. We welcome republicans, democrats, independents, libertarians, etc. The intent is to post about the political ideas - NOT about each others' intellect, character, etc.

Lately, discussion in the political forum has been crossing the line. I understand that if someone posts something that is the EXACT opposite of what you believe that your blood might boil a little. However, can we not respond like civilized adults? Do we have to become the Limbaughs/Matthews/Hannitys of the blogospheres? Those guys get paid to belittle others and disrespect thei people personally (for some reason that I don't understand).

From the PMs and reports of some posters, it seems that some prefer a one sided only discussion. I'm sorry to tell you - that isn't going to happen. I'm sure that plently of such sides exist, where all you have to do is go in and wallow amongst your own beliefs. Fine, if that's what you want. That is NOT the purpose of this forum. We prefer a less stagnant environment.

Some posters want to report/complain about doing the exact same things that they themselves are doing. Though you may feel free to complain via PM or post report, understand that we as mods can grant you little sympathy for doing the exact same thing that you are complaining about.

We need to consider what "open minded" truly is. Quit looking at someone else's opinion with the "how can I attack this" mentality. Instead, consider what they are saying as an opinion. We don't expect people to agree. We do expect them to remain civilized.

Some will say, "well, I have my opinions and you have yours and they are not going to change." Perhaps that is so, but it's not so for everyone. Judge Roy Bean and I, when first introduced, knew that we were on opposite sides of the aisle politically (though not opposite ends of the aisle and not on every issue). However, since we've known each other and engaged in discussion we've come to respect each other personally and the opinions that we have. Do opinions/stances change? Certainly. I'm proof. There are discussions of certain topics in which the Judge has caused me to change my mind. Others, though my opinion perhaps didn't change, my hardline stance to it has. The bottom line is this - you CAN disagree and respect each other, but only if you want to and only if you don't look for ways to attack each other and their opinions.

We've all been on other sites that allow you to slam each other, sometimes hiding behind pretty words to do so. It's not going to happen here. Those comments - or even whole threads - will be removed. No, we're not going to fine you like some places do. Heck, we don't want to even suspend people - unless you ignore warnings, then you're sealing your own coffin on that. We enjoy you as people and WANT your opinion. I personally want to consider the perspective that each of you bring to the table. I consider many of you as personal friends and for those I haven't met, I want to think of you as a friend, too.

So, I will continue to do what I have been doing - sitting here in Colorado on vacation at my dad's house - editting posts, closing threads and replying to PMs.

Sincerely,
Annie Oakley
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: spelling correction   Remarks from a mod about the political forum I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:18 pm

PS - THIS is the thread to discuss these types of issues, if you want.

Last edited by Annie Oakley on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: Remarks from a mod about the political forum   Remarks from a mod about the political forum I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Very well said, Annie. There is no possible way I could have said it better. thumb thumb thumb

Folks, she's right. I value everyone's opinion on this board, but I don't want everyone to agree with me. Heck, what fun would that be? Annie, Doc, Lucas, Gringa, Skinny, Drifter, Roy, Audra, Mongo, Wyatt and anyone else I might have forgotten. I really enjoy reading the posts you all make, and I know how politics can get us hot under the collar, but would any of you be posting in this forum if we all thought the same on the issues? I'd venture to say no, it would be rather boring.
I will use gringa as an example if it's OK with her. I don't agree with her politically at all, at least the vast majority of the time. I know others on here feel the same way, but ask yourself this question. Would this forum be as fun or challenging without her? I say HELL NO! She is very knowledgeable and researches topics and issues, she posts things that make you think and really gets the discussion juices flowing. Same can be said for Lucas or any of the names I mentioned above.
I have tremendous respect for Annie, she has made me think about things I would have just blown off in years past. I feel I'm a better person, poster and debater because of her. The two of us have debated politics for a couple of years on another site before I left it, not one time in those years did we ever attack one another. We didn't agree very often, but never got in an argument. The mutual respect we've had for one another has made debating political issues a pleasure rather than something to raise out blood pressure.
In short, what I'm saying is give Annie a good listening to, you might be surprised how much many of you have in common outside of politics. Wink Using gringa as an example again, I may not agree with her politically, but she has excellent taste in music! dude jam
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Remarks from a mod about the political forum   Remarks from a mod about the political forum I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 7:18 pm

I don't want anyone to misunderstand and think that this was directed AT them. I have been dealing with a variety of posters via PM and post reports.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Remarks from a mod about the political forum   Remarks from a mod about the political forum I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 8:26 pm

I love debating politics... Just wish we had a few more liberals on here so it wouldn't be so easy.... Laughing The posters that know me personally know that I'm totally harmless.. And I love the challenge of a good argument...
Back to top Go down
Outcast
Homesteader
Homesteader
Outcast

PostSubject: Re: Remarks from a mod about the political forum   Remarks from a mod about the political forum I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 10:55 pm

.........MOST DISCUSSIONS seem to be between " facts"... and " I think it should be"...OK with me.... I Just totally feel for the folks who can't see the writing on the wall ? I think America is the greatest country in the world, and it's people are great as well, FACT IS, we are simply on the DECLINE, and I must say in my HUMBLE OPINION it is because of a leaderless population, who refuses to recognize unruly greed ......... and ALL PROBLEMS ARE HANDLED WITH A "KID GLOVE APPROACH" .... I mean the political correct approach has only succeeded to bring our country and it's people down.... and the political correct /kid glove approach will not work in a discussion ............. There is usually a best way to do something, and most answers are simple to figure. Keeping that in mind,at the outpost, I think it necessary to be civil, polite, and friendly, but FOR GOD'S SAKE, it's necessary to educate the ignorant...... Ya can't get evil toward them, because they simply don't realize how ignorant they are .......... God love 'em ! America , what a history ! It's too great of place to let the dream get flushed ........ THE GOOD NEWS IS, all the folks at the outpost care..... IT'S APATHY THAT IS KILLING US.... THAT, and NON CONTRIBUTING CITIZENS, who seem to have the same vote the contributing ones do. Sorry, but if you are just a receiver, and have not been a contributor to this great country YOU DON'T deserve equal rights, nor respect, whether in real life, or at the discussion board....... and that is a FACT that cannot be argued.......... God bless the working folk,and all the creative, contributing Americans, and SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, down with the crooked politicians.....and FULL SPEED AHEAD !!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Geronimo
Homesteader
Homesteader
Geronimo

PostSubject: Re: Remarks from a mod about the political forum   Remarks from a mod about the political forum I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 am

Seems like things got a little squirrely in my absence. Duck!

I agree. I love to debate politics, but why do people always take it so personally?
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Remarks from a mod about the political forum   Remarks from a mod about the political forum I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
I love debating politics... Just wish we had a few more liberals on here so it wouldn't be so easy.... Laughing The posters that know me personally know that I'm totally harmless.. And I love the challenge of a good argument...

I've tried to get some libs to come...believe me. All the responses I have got from the invitations are basically the same thing...why bother, they aren't going to change and their minds are firmly slammed shut. I'm sorry if I make it "easy" for you. I would turn up the heat a little but I'm afraid that you and a couple of others would react badly and would turn this into a personal attack on peoples beliefs. I've seen the sites before where the majority of the group are conservatives and it usually ends with a couple of libs being burnt at the stake for being "heretics".

I appreciate everything that Annie and Judge have said and I think that in the end if most of us knew one another in real life, there wouldn't be any bad blood between us. I would guess the majority of us are decent folk who would get along great at a party, just not a political party. Very Happy Believe it or not, I'm very easy going in real life and most people like me. I'm really not the devil, I promise. mischief

Thanks Annie (and Judge) for taking the time to post. I'm sorry I have stepped over the line and made personal comments and I won't make excuses for it. I'm just sorry for it. I'll keep on trying and when I get out of line just kick me in the butt! It's that simple! I usually listen when I'm told to shut up. Razz

Take care thumb

PS Annie! What are you doing in Colorado???? NO FAIR!!! Take lots of pics. I bet it is just beautiful right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remarks from a mod about the political forum   Remarks from a mod about the political forum I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Remarks from a mod about the political forum
Page 1 of 1