The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer Empty
PostSubject: Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer   Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Wow, isn't it ironic? I have found that most people I know who drive hummers consider themselves REAL AMERICANS and the kings of the road. What are they going to do now? Buy their big gas hogs from communist? I just found that humorous. Razz Goodbye Hummer and good riddance. Like families need a hummer to transport their children to soccer practice.
Rolling Eyes Maybe they should have thought about the real world and where it was going instead of catering to the elite who didn't mind gobbling up the worlds oil reserves just to best their neighbors.
(Hopefully nobody owns a hummer on here. lol Sorry, I just think they are a very unnecessary vehicle in this day and age. We don't have the oil for such status symbols anymore.)

Source: New York Times

GUANGZHOU, China — General Motors has reached a preliminary agreement for the sale of its Hummer brand of large sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks to a machinery company in western China with ambitions to become a carmaker, a person familiar with the Chinese government approval process said Tuesday.

The Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company Ltd., based in Chengdu, concluded the agreement with G.M., said the person, who insisted on anonymity.

Sichuan Tengzhong is a privately owned company, but Tuesday’s deal required preliminary vetting by Beijing officials, who retain the right to veto any attempt at an overseas acquisition by a Chinese company and who give special attention to deals over $100 million.

G.M. announced the deal early Tuesday morning in Detroit but said that the memorandum of understanding would not allow it to reveal the buyer or the price. Industry analysts have estimated that the Hummer division would sell for less than $500 million.

Hummer going Communist
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer   Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Just a small interest payment on what we owe the Chinese.. I just feel bad for the thousands that will lose their jobs.. At least Hummers will be a lot less expensive now..
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer   Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Sounds like they are going to save about 3000 jobs and keep some dealerships open for those who are just dying for a huge tough guy vehicle. I wonder if they will be so appealing to the macho crowd when they start equipping them to use "ethanol and other alternative fuels". I guess I've never understood the big macho truck thing. I have a big dodge ram truck for my farm and it eats gas. I only use it for farm stuff (transporting livestock, hay, etc.) Don't know why anyone would want to drive the things around all the time with gas so high. I prefer my Yaris or CRV over that big ole thang.
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer   Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 6:26 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Sounds like they are going to save about 3000 jobs and keep some dealerships open for those who are just dying for a huge tough guy vehicle. I wonder if they will be so appealing to the macho crowd when they start equipping them to use "ethanol and other alternative fuels". I guess I've never understood the big macho truck thing. I have a big dodge ram truck for my farm and it eats gas. I only use it for farm stuff (transporting livestock, hay, etc.) Don't know why anyone would want to drive the things around all the time with gas so high. I prefer my Yaris or CRV over that big ole thang.

That's what "used" to separate the US from all other countries Gringa...Liberty, freedom and personal responsibility. The freedom to buy whatever kind of car you want, even if it is a "tough guy" or "macho" or economy car is something that just might be gone.

Is the majority of our citizens willing to give up Liberty and personal freedom in exchange for a little security provided by the government? I'm not.
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer   Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 6:53 pm

SKINNYPIG wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

That's what "used" to separate the US from all other countries Gringa...Liberty, freedom and personal responsibility. The freedom to buy whatever kind of car you want, even if it is a "tough guy" or "macho" or economy car is something that just might be gone.

Is the majority of our citizens willing to give up Liberty and personal freedom in exchange for a little security provided by the government? I'm not.

What are people so afraid of? Change? I mean, having vehicles that run on different fuel sources to help save the environment and save our country at the same time so that we can be less dependent on foreign oil. I don't see how that is taking away our liberty or freedom. It would actually be freeing us even more from depending on nations who harbor people who want to kill us all. We were riding around on horses 200 years ago. Times change and situations change. Don't you think that it makes sense to do the right thing or have this country grown so spoiled that we should be able to get whatever we want, whenever we want it and call it "liberty and freedom"? And you make it sound like other countries don't enjoy freedom, liberty, etc.. Freedom and liberty isn't an American concept. Those other countries have been smart enough to make some changes to adjust to the ever-changing world. I say if you want to drive a big gas sucking tank, then you should pay a luxury tax for it because it's bad for the environment and you are using up gas that is in short supply. People should feel free to show off how tough they are in their big trucks, etc. but not at the expense of the rest of the country. That's just greedy and spoiled behavior to not give a crap how what you do effects others. And yes, a large portion of our citizens are willing to give up their liberty and personal freedoms quite freely judging from the past few years. Now that we have the wonderful patriot act and the government can tap our phone lines and search our homes without warrants. I'd say if republicans are so willing to give up personal freedoms like that, that being willing to accept the future of non-gas vehicles should be a pretty easy pill to swallow. I'd much rather give up my Dodge Ram than give up my personal privacy but the terrorists are going to get us. AHHHHHHHHHH! affraid Spit
Back to top Go down
SKINNYPIG
Wrangler
Wrangler
SKINNYPIG

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer   Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 7:02 pm

Without reading your entire post, I will say this. If BHO & the New GM can come up with a truck that can pull my boat & camper to speed, keep my family safe, go 75 MPH, haul what I need to haul and still be affordable, I don't care if it runs on table scraps.

Are you insinuating I should give up my truck (it's a beauty), boat, camper and safety because this admin says I should?
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer   Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 7:21 pm

gringaloca wrote:
SKINNYPIG wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

What are people so afraid of? Change? I mean, having vehicles that run on different fuel sources to help save the environment and save our country at the same time so that we can be less dependent on foreign oil. I don't see how that is taking away our liberty or freedom. It would actually be freeing us even more from depending on nations who harbor people who want to kill us all. We were riding around on horses 200 years ago. Times change and situations change. Don't you think that it makes sense to do the right thing or have this country grown so spoiled that we should be able to get whatever we want, whenever we want it and call it "liberty and freedom"? And you make it sound like other countries don't enjoy freedom, liberty, etc.. Freedom and liberty isn't an American concept. Those other countries have been smart enough to make some changes to adjust to the ever-changing world. I say if you want to drive a big gas sucking tank, then you should pay a luxury tax for it because it's bad for the environment and you are using up gas that is in short supply. People should feel free to show off how tough they are in their big trucks, etc. but not at the expense of the rest of the country. That's just greedy and spoiled behavior to not give a crap how what you do effects others. And yes, a large portion of our citizens are willing to give up their liberty and personal freedoms quite freely judging from the past few years. Now that we have the wonderful patriot act and the government can tap our phone lines and search our homes without warrants. I'd say if republicans are so willing to give up personal freedoms like that, that being willing to accept the future of non-gas vehicles should be a pretty easy pill to swallow. I'd much rather give up my Dodge Ram than give up my personal privacy but the terrorists are going to get us. AHHHHHHHHHH! affraid Spit
Help me out here.. Not trying to be mean.. I realize this post is your opinion and that's fine with me and I guess your opinion of the Patriot Act is as you stated, but if you are stating your interpretation of the act as fact then you were/are misinformed.. So are you stating the Patriot Act info as your opinion or fact.. Again just trying to be more open and understanding...
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer   Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:26 pm

Since you guys tend to come in pairs, I'll answer you both here.

Skinnypig....Awesome! I totally agree. I love camping myself and I need a truck for this farm and I hope they do come up with something that runs on "table scraps" that can do all of that. Lord knows that we have brilliant enough scientists to do such things. It's just a matter of getting big oil out of the equation and they aren't going down without a bitter fight.

And no, I'm not suggesting you give up your beautiful truck, camper or any of those things unless they are some how damaging the environment or infringing on other peoples rights. I think that the government should give tax breaks to people to switch over to more fuel efficient vehicles and should help make the switchover not such a drastic change. There is no reason why you can't have a beautiful truck that has a powerful engine that isn't your traditional combustion engine. The big three have known about technology for God knows how many years to make our vehicles more friendly for our environment and not such gas guzzling road hogs. And there is no reason why that same vehicle can't be safe as well. We put a man on the moon, seems we can figure out a way to transport your camper in a different, better way. I don't believe that the definition of a free American should be a greedy consumer who by golly wants to drive his big bad butt truck and suck up all the resources of the earth just because he CAN and in the name of "freedom and liberty".

Lucas....
We're all adults here so you don't have to handle me with kid gloves. I'm perfectly willing to move on past what has transpired over the past few days. My lips curled up when I read your response because I could just imagine the expression on your face as you typed it. mischief
Quote :
The Patriot Act was signed into law on 26 October, 2001, a little over a month after the 11 September attacks. Many critics of the act have pointed out that it was not heavily debated in Congress, and that because it was hastily pushed through, some of the language is extremely vague. Originally, the Patriot Act had what is known as a “sunset clause,” meaning that it would expire in four years. In 2006, most of the Patriot Act was reauthorized and made permanent, after more extensive debate in the House and Senate.

Under the Patriot Act, American law enforcement personnel have far more authority than they did before. This change in authority is designed to ensure that law enforcement can act quickly and decisively to apprehend terrorists. After the terrorist attacks of 11 September, many figures in government wanted to grant law enforcement more powers to observe unusual activity and act upon it. Many of the terms in the Patriot Act could be perceived as detrimental to civil liberties, a major concern for some Americans.

Surveillance capabilities were greatly expanded under the act, which also increased regulation of financial transactions which are suspected to be tied to terrorist activity. The Patriot Act also greatly enhanced the ability of law enforcement to monitor foreign nationals in the United States, deporting them if it is deemed necessary. Domestic and international intelligence gathering were enlarged in scope, and the act also allows law enforcement to execute warrants for searches and wiretapping without notifying the object of the warrant. The act also increased the scope of authority on domestic terrorism, leading to serious consequences for radical organizations like the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) and Animal Liberation Front (ALF).

One of the more controversial sections of the Patriot Act was Section 215, which allows law enforcement to gather records such as a library checkout history or Internet purchase history. The American Library Association expressed strong opposition to this section of the act, with many librarians pledging to refuse to surrender such data on their patrons. The American Civil Liberties Union also expressed dissatisfaction with much of the language in the act, especially language which permits “sneak and peek” searches, clandestine searches executed on private property.

We've all heard the stories where the patriot act has been abused. People listening in on couples having phone sex. Local police departments using it to bust other locals (not terrorists). And Bush of course ordered wiretapping and "sneak and peeks" without a warrant. It's been used to target American citizens who were completely innocent, etc. Before I post enough further, what is your question?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer   Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chinese Company Said to Be Buyer of Hummer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Outpost Saloon :: The Outhouse :: Politics-
Jump to: