The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....

Go down 
+4
Annie Oakley
Lucas McCain
Pat Garrett
The Drifter
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 2:41 pm

Ja'far wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:
Even if you used your nuke to retaliate it's still offensive.. A defensive weapon would be a Patriot type system that destroys incoming offensive weapons... I see your point though, but you need enough nukes to wipe out a whole country before it to work defensively.. Not just one or two.

So far the mere nominal possession of nuclear weapon has provided defense. Have two nuclear powers ever gone to war with one another?

As to the questions at hand, keeping these weapons from North Korea is a goal worth achieving, but it is one that can only be achieved diplomatically. Certainly, we have the military ability to stop them, but that would only give them grounds to use it.

That is the way I see it, too. Saber-rattling would seem to me to make them only MORE determined to develop nuclear weapons.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 2:48 pm

Ja'far wrote:
So far the mere nominal possession of nuclear weapon has provided defense. Have two nuclear powers ever gone to war with one another?

As to the questions at hand, keeping these weapons from North Korea is a goal worth achieving, but it is one that can only be achieved diplomatically. Certainly, we have the military ability to stop them, but that would only give them grounds to use it.
While I'm in agreement with you about diplomacy, what do we do if diplomacy fails? I'm afraid that with the likes of Kim Jong-il, diplomacy won't work. I hope I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
https://outpostsaloon.forumotion.com
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 2:59 pm

I'd love to settle the matter diplomatically.. Maybe it has, but I don't remember it ever happening in a case like this.. Diplomacy hasn't worked for Iraq, Iran, the PLO, Homas , Bin Ladin,etc.
Back to top Go down
Ja'far
Wrangler
Wrangler
Ja'far

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
While I'm in agreement with you about diplomacy, what do we do if diplomacy fails? I'm afraid that with the likes of Kim Jong-il, diplomacy won't work. I hope I'm wrong.

That depends on the costs we are willing to pay, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Wrangler
Wrangler

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
thumb
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 1:09 am

Annie Oakley wrote:
I hesitate to ask bring this up, because I really want to discuss this and not be attacked, but I'll be brave, I guess, and try.

What right do we have to tell countries that are not in any way under our control that they can't have nuclear weapons, particularly for defense?

I know that Jong is felt by many to be "a loose cannon" (I'm not debating that), but do we look at all of our "enemies" as not having the right to have nuclear weapons?

With the US being the only country to ever use nuclear weapons against others, doesn't this seem particularly questionable of us to not allow other countries weapons for defense.

That's the same thought I have always had. Why do we have the right but other countries don't. It's a double standard even if he is a nut.
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

Location : I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:52 am

gringaloca wrote:
That's the same thought I have always had. Why do we have the right but other countries don't. It's a double standard even if he is a nut.
Who will take the lead if not us?
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:07 am

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

Why does there have to be a leader?
Back to top Go down
Judge Roy Bean
Founder
Judge Roy Bean

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:27 am

gringaloca wrote:
Because if no one is, nothing will stop rogue nations from getting nukes. That would be disastrous.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:30 am

gringaloca wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

Great idea.. Lets just allow any idiot to have a bomb.. Better yet, just let them poor terrorist have some bombs for the way we treated them..
Back to top Go down
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
gringaloca

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Lucas McCain wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

Great idea.. Lets just allow any idiot to have a bomb.. Better yet, just let them poor terrorist have some bombs for the way we treated them..

You are really getting out of line about putting words in my mouth. I don't want any idiots to have access to nukes. That's just you being obtuse again. And why do you keep referring to the terrorists as poor? Do you feel sorry for them? I don't. I can't believe you love the terrorists so much, that's just plain un-American. Stir The Pot
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 4:52 pm

Lay off the personal attacks. If not, this thread is over.
Back to top Go down
Lucas McCain
Rancher
Rancher
Lucas McCain

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 6:52 pm

gringaloca wrote:
Lucas McCain wrote:
gringaloca wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
gringaloca wrote:

You are really getting out of line about putting words in my mouth. I don't want any idiots to have access to nukes. That's just you being obtuse again. And why do you keep referring to the terrorists as poor? Do you feel sorry for them? I don't. I can't believe you love the terrorists so much, that's just plain un-American. Stir The Pot
You felt awful sorry for the terrorist in the water boarding threads... Another flip-flop...
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Maybe it's time for a new "North Korea" thread. Hopefully that one won't be full of personal attacks and will instead discuss the issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....   North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle..... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

North Korea fires 2nd nuclear missle.....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2