The Outpost Saloon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

World War I

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tranthuongbn
Homesteader
Homesteader

World War I Empty
PostSubject: World War I   World War I I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 7:21 am

World War I (WWI) or First World War (called at the time the Great War) was a major war centered on Europe that began in the summer of 1914. The fighting ended in November 1918. This conflict involved all of the world's great powers,[4] assembled in two opposing alliances: the Allies (centred around the Triple Entente) and the Central Powers.[5] More than 70 million military personnel, including 60 million Europeans, were mobilized in one of the largest wars in history.[6][7] More than 9 million combatants were killed, due largely to great technological advances in firepower without corresponding ones in mobility. It was the second deadliest conflict in history.[8]
The assassination on 28 June 1914 of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, was the immediate trigger of the war. Long-term causes, such as imperialistic foreign policies of the great powers of Europe, such as the German Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Ottoman Empire, the Russian Empire, the British Empire, France, and Italy, played a major role. Ferdinand's assassination by a Yugoslav nationalist resulted in a Habsburg ultimatum against the Kingdom of Serbia.[9][10] Several alliances formed over the past decades were invoked, so within weeks the major powers were at war; via their colonies, the conflict soon spread around the world.

evening dresses
Text Übersetzen
Back to top Go down

World War I
Page 1 of 1