The Outpost Saloon

A forum for sports, politics, general discussion and a variety of topics.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Does anyone believe that horse racing may be a bit cruel?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gringaloca
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

PostSubject: Does anyone believe that horse racing may be a bit cruel?   Sat May 02, 2009 4:08 pm

Kentuckians are very proud of the Kentucky Derby because it's really the most famous event we are known for. I grew up here and grew up around horses. My husband grew up in a family that raises appaloosa quarter horses. We love riding and love how intelligent and loving the horses are. Watching the race is so exciting and the animals are so beautiful and powerful but there's a part of me that finds it cruel. After last years tragedy it really hit home for me. It's not a rare thing either. Horses are put down for injuries due to racing too much and too hard all the time. Many are put down after they are too old or too lame to race instead of being put out to pasture to enjoy the rest of their days. Our derby is one of the few that has kept their dirt track instead of converting to the rubber track which isn't as hard on horses legs and ankles. We've bred these horses to be so powerful that their legs can barely support their powerful bodies. How do you all feel about it? I would at least feel a little better if they would install the rubber track.
Back to top Go down
The Drifter
Wrangler
Wrangler

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone believe that horse racing may be a bit cruel?   Sat May 02, 2009 11:48 pm

To say that horse racing and the treatment of these fine animals is cruel is at best ridiculous! These horses are worth millions to their owners and after racing are very valuble as well in a variety of ways. No one is going to deliberately mistreat one of them. Sounds like an P.E.T.A. outcry to me Rolling Eyes . P.E.TA. imo is one of the most useless organizations anywhere. These thoughorbred horses live a better life than alot of people in this country and their home/stalls are probably cleaner than some of these P.E.T.A.members homes and they (horses) are obviously smarter than some people. Very Happy .

There was an outcry last year when one of the horses collapsed with both ankles/shins broken and had to be put down. Some thought that it was bc it was obvious that the horse would never race again. Nothing could be further from the truth, it was reported and explained that the breaks were beyond repair and the animal was in so much pain that it would had been much more cruel to keep her alive.
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone believe that horse racing may be a bit cruel?   Mon May 04, 2009 5:01 pm

I don't have a problem with horse racing but do wish they would get rid of the whip (or whatever its proper name is).
Back to top Go down
Wyatt Earp
Wrangler
Wrangler

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone believe that horse racing may be a bit cruel?   Mon May 04, 2009 5:05 pm

Something I read last year in regards to horses breaking their legs is that as breeding is concentrated towards breeding faster and faster horses, thorobred's skeletal systems have become thinner/lighter than they were decades ago.

In a way this makes sense, while large powerful muscles make a horse faster, thick/heavy bones add more weight so a horse with thinner/lighter bones will run faster and as a result be bred more often passing on the light weight bone genes. These lighter bones are more prone to breaking.

While I have no facts to back up this theory, it does make sense.
Back to top Go down
Annie Oakley

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone believe that horse racing may be a bit cruel?   Mon May 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Wyatt Earp wrote:
Something I read last year in regards to horses breaking their legs is that as breeding is concentrated towards breeding faster and faster horses, thorobred's skeletal systems have become thinner/lighter than they were decades ago.

In a way this makes sense, while large powerful muscles make a horse faster, thick/heavy bones add more weight so a horse with thinner/lighter bones will run faster and as a result be bred more often passing on the light weight bone genes. These lighter bones are more prone to breaking.

While I have no facts to back up this theory, it does make sense.

I have heard this, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone believe that horse racing may be a bit cruel?   

Back to top Go down

Does anyone believe that horse racing may be a bit cruel?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1